Daniel Scott Buck's Reviews > Citizen Vince

Citizen Vince by Jess Walter

Apr 18, 08

Read in December, 2007

So (that's how I'll begin first sentences from now on) I walked into Murder By The Book (Portland) and looked around. This was back in December, a month of death and despair, so I thought a murder mystery, maybe even some crime fiction, would be appropriate.

When I first picked up the book, it was clear that Jess Walter (he writes out of Spokane, Washington) is a very literary writer. This helped, because I have a hard time getting into genre fiction, and I will explain why when I get to a review of OVER TUMBLED GRAVES, another book by Jess Walter.

Citizen Vince takes place during the 1980 presidential election, so the timing might be perfect for you to pick it up and give it a shot. A smart book that I couldn't put away until I was done with it. Oh, I guess they call it a page-turner. A. Page. Turner. Okay (checking word count), it's a great book: Winner of the Edgar for Best Novel.

Here is the epigraph, in case you were wondering:

"A great nation is like a great man...He thinks of his enemy as the shadow that he himself casts." --Tao Te Ching
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Citizen Vince.