Tamora Pierce's Reviews > The Woman in Black

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill

Sep 03, 2011

bookshelves: adult, historical, horror
Read in August, 2011

The blurbs scream "Austen"-esque. Not true. This reads like the best of Arthur Conan Doyle, and despite references to "19--," like something set in the late 1800s. A young English attorney is sent to the back of beyond to attend the funeral of a very eccentric client, gather up her papers, and come back. His train trip is lonesome and creepy, the reception he gets in the isolated town near where the funeral is to be held is ominous, and people's reactions to what he says he sees should warn him and does warn us that he's stepped in something beyond his tight, rational understanding.

This is creepy, eerie, sad, and ghostly. There are rooms with rockers that rock with no one there. There is a house that's isolated from the land most of the day when the tide comes in. There are stories of ghosts and mysterious sightings.

In other words, it's a wonderful ghost story. Ignore the pictures. They reminded me of certain comics, when the book really needed the pen-and0ink sketches the Strand magazine used for the Holmes stories. And maybe, if you're nervous, don't read this at night.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman in Black.

02/14/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea This is also being made into a movie starring Daniel Radcliffe. It looks very creepy

Leenie I had to read this in my English literature class in college (and loved it), and I brought up the pictures and how they were oddly chipper. No one knew what I was talking about as it turned out everyone bought the newer copy. Oops! Even my teacher had never seen the pictures before.