Hannah (The Irish Banana Review)'s Reviews > Juliet Immortal

Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay

Nov 28, 11

bookshelves: ya-romance
Read in September, 2011

To say that this book completely blew me away in surprise is such a gross understatement that I hesitate to even say it. I figured this book would be something the romantic in me would enjoy, but by the end I had positively swooned. I never wanted this end. Stacey Jay took the story of Romeo and Juliet and twisted it around completely—and in the best way possible.

I almost feel like I need to include a little warning label because there is quite a bit of sexuality in this book. I probably wouldn’t hand this book to a thirteen-year-old, but a sixteen-year-old? Absolutely. It’s a great way to get teenagers interested in Shakespeare and more involved in their classes (most public school in the U.S. cover Romeo and Juliet in high school). This is a fantastic book to recommend to teens and adults alike.

Juliet is a devastatingly caring girl. Tasked with uniting lovers and protecting love itself, she almost seems like the eternal optimist. I loved her from the start. She is such an easy character to adore. Centuries later, the betrayal she still feels from Romeo’s actions, is visceral.

And Romeo, Romeo. From his first interactions with Juliet, I was mesmerized. I had such a hard time hating him because his actions were not as cut and dry as the synopsis makes them out to be. There are so many layers to him and a depth I didn’t imagine possible. I was torn the whole book between cheering for him and wanting him to fail miserably.

This is a book for romance lovers. It is lyrical and magical and I simply could not get enough. I could have read this book forever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juliet Immortal.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Gibson Well based on that review I'm definitely going to be checking out this book. I'm intrigued now so thanks! :)

☆∞Bellas☮ ♥Shelf∞☆ Awesome review! I have this bad boy too. Since Ill be snowed in this weekend (10-14 inches of snow expected) I should read it if my power goes out.

Hannah (The Irish Banana Review) ☆∞Bella's wrote: "Awesome review! I have this bad boy too. Since Ill be snowed in this weekend (10-14 inches of snow expected) I should read it if my power goes out."

Enjoy your snow! We got the rain end here!