Ken-ichi's Reviews > Hark! A Vagrant

Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton

Oct 03, 11

bookshelves: comics
Read from September 28 to October 03, 2011

Delightful content, but nothing new for fans of the eponymous web comic. A very beautiful physical object, of course, as one would expect from Drawn & Quarterly, considerably nicer than the previous self-published Never Learn Anything From History. Sadly the book is lacking the autobiographical doodles Beaton posts on Twitter, which, aside from being some of the funniest things she produces, are also some of the most heartfelt and touching. For me, many of her most amusing historical comics are simple cocktails of staunch historical or cultural figures and modern cussin' (e.g. "That's Pretty Old", "Tycho"). I love that stuff, but it's the awesome and often exceedingly Canadian interactions with her family that have me laughing the most, and feeling that awkward Internet celebrity sensation of knowing someone when you're really just a voyeur.

So, if you like history and comics and the Internet you should buy this book to prove that at least one person in the world can make a living combining those things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hark! A Vagrant.

09/28/2011 page 66
41.0% "Picked up my copy today!"