Meg's Reviews > The Best Poems of the English Language

The Best Poems of the English Language by Alissa Heyman

Feb 10, 09

Read in February, 2009

Loved it, loved it. Admittedly I'm not the most experienced poetry-reader, but this pretty much seems like the Super Rockin' Awesome Collection to me (wonder why they didn't use THAT title...) I picked it up for $8 during a Borders special, then just left it in my car for months of those mom-moments when I was sitting around waiting for my kids to finish soccer, gymnastics, playing at the park, visiting the doctor oh-so-willingly, examining their bellybuttons, etc.

The poems are divided chronologically by author, including short bios for each poet, which I found interesting. The editor got a little slap-happy with the footnotes, at times pointing out the most obvious things in uber-annoying fashion, but the collection was still worth it. Poe and the great Bard remain my faves, but there were some new surprises I had never read (though you guys probably have).

Good poetry always make my skin vibrate. It's so visceral and exciting. Guess I'm kinda a junkie that way...

Happy rhyming! (or not, that's perfectly valid)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Poems of the English Language.