Stuart's Reviews > The Grey King

The Grey King by Susan Cooper

Sep 03, 11

This book is a bit of a mixed bag for me. Though I loved Will Stanton in DARK IS RISING, here he is a more distant figure- too much Old One and not enough human and relatable. I missed, enormously, the presence of the Drew children and Merriman- the later of whom only appears briefly, and the former are not mentioned at all. The secondary characters provide some interest- Will and John Rowland have a conversation about individual value vs. greater good that may be the philosophical high point of the whole series- and the final confrontation between Owen and Caradog over their long standing love for Gwen is the climax of the book- and yet oddly discordnant with the fantastical themes and plot line. It's almost as if Cooper wanted to write an adult book about Wales (the atmosphere of which she captures well) and attempted to tie it into her fantasy series. And because she is a good writer, she pulls it off. But it doesn't quite sit comfortably, for me, and this book of the series leaves the weakest impression.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grey King.