Theresa's Reviews > Dark Corners

Dark Corners by Liz Schulte

Oct 06, 11

bookshelves: ebook, fiction, mysteries, review-copy, thriller, suspense
Read from September 14 to 16, 2011, read count: 1

I devoured horror stories growing up, with my favorite authors being Alfred Hitchcock and Edgar Allan Poe. There is just something about the old classic scary stories - hair raising, creepy without the gore. I have been craving those types of stories, but had figured they were gone with the times. Then along came Liz Shulte with her novel "Dark Corners" and finally - finally, a hair raising, creepy story that actually kept me guessing throughout the whole novel!

This story takes place in an old, old home that had been handed down through Ella's husband's family for generations. Her husband was the last of the bloodline to inherit the home. From the time they moved in, weird things started happening inside the house, but it seemed Ella was the one who could see or hear them. Then, when she came home from a business trip, Ella found her husband murdered and was sure it had something to do with the house. The police and neighbors have another theory - that Ella killed her husband.

So sets the stage of this paranormal thriller. Ella was a realistic character with enough pain and confusion about her husband's death that she self-medicates with alcohol and prescriptions that her psychiatrist gives her. One wonders if it is her imagination that is creating these events, but at other times, they are so real - so believable, that you can't help but think that they are true. I flip-flopped throughout the whole novel trying to figure out who, what, where, and why this was all going on. With all the twists, I hadn't a clue what was going on until pretty much the very end of the story and then by a lucky guess, figured it out! Move over Agatha Christie, Liz Shulte will give you a real run for your money with this story!

Liz is an exceptionally captivating writer and I must say, after reading this, I CAN'T WAIT for her next novel to come out. This is definitely one author to keep an eye on! This book comes HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Corners.