RJ's Reviews > Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids

Runaways, Vol. 8 by Joss Whedon

Sep 03, 11

bookshelves: comics, queer, ya

I am one of these annoying people who only picked this up because it was written by Joss Whedon. I'm also a (queer, feminist, disgruntled) comics fan, and completely confused as to how I never heard of this title until Whedon wrote an arch of it.

If you're here because you're a Whedon fan, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It has all of his hallmarks: funny quotable dialogue, a complex but tight-knit plot, cultural references that make you feel smart (Yellow Kid as a turn of the century superhero was particularly charming), and lovers whose love is so lovely that (spoiler) it's a wonder that they only end up living meaningless lives full of regret and don't die horribly in each other's arms.

But, listen, if you're just a Whedon fan and you dislike comics or whatever, you're missing something. Part of what I really appreciated about the Runaways was that it felt like this team was created with people like me in mind - people romanced by superheroes kids, but sick to death of of melodramatic straight white people with perfect bodies stuffed into improbable costumes. I love entering the Marvel universe from the vantage point of this group of kids. I hope to see more of this series soon.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Runaways, Vol. 8.