Char's Reviews > The Kin

The Kin by Peter Dickinson

Sep 04, 11

bookshelves: peter-dickinson, set-in-africa, the-kin, read-in-2011
Read on September 03, 2011

For my full review please visit my blog: The Kin: Ko's Story review @ From the Shadows I Review

This didn't grab me as much as the previous two books. I wasn't entirely sure why at first but I figured it out a bit later on in the paragraph. This book doesn't lack anything that the other two had, the scene setting was beautiful, the oldtale was wonderful and the writing sublime. Now I'll get on to why I didn't fully enjoy this book as I promised I would. It wasn't the book in any way, shape or form, it was me. I've been distracted all day in preparation of one of my other passions in life: the British Touring Car Championship qualifying (It's a form of motorsport and my personal favourite. Just in case you were wondering).

The main character of this story is Ko and I have to say I really liked him, he reminds me of myself. He's a dreamer and I found myself connecting with him in a way that I hadn't with Suth and Noli. I hadn't liked him in the previous books because some of his actions were incredibly stupid and although he's hardly mature in this one I found myself liking him anyway. Noli, Suth, Tan and Tinu aren't mentioned as much in this one and I think that it's a shame as the closeness they had in books 1 and 2 was integral to the story.

Overall I liked the book but my distraction and quite possibly the lack of chemistry between the characters made this book slightly less enjoyable. I still liked the author's writing style but some things that I personally thought were important weren't mentioned and I'd have liked them to be. I think if you've read the previous books it's definitely worth picking this one up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kin.

09/03/2011 page 116