David's Reviews > Timelike Infinity

2920307
Sep 15, 2011

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read from September 03 to 15, 2011

Not sure how many stars to give it.

The book presents some immense SF tech / far future concepts. Certainly food for thought.

Unlike many SF readers, scientific accuracy can affect my reading satisfaction. The problem here is more complex than usual. Baxter presents wormhole time travel using a means suggested by an important and respected physicist - so it would be unfair for me to say it's "inaccurate". However, it is a theory I've thought about in the past and which I have been unable to resolve what appear to me to be issues. The book brought back those concerns to me and added some dissonance to my reading experience. (If anyone's interested, my thoughts on this wormhole time travel idea are at: http://www.hardsf.org/HSFTWoTi.htm)

Perhaps more relevant to the book itself is the end. There's what one might call an epilogue which follows one key character past the apparent resolution of the problem. However, the epilogue is full of what might be hints of what is to come in later Xeelee series books, but seems to go off on a tangent in terms of this book's story. Also, while this thread takes us into the far future, there's nothing in the book following up on the other characters. In that sense, we don't get as certain a view of how the "apparent resolution" goes. So I did not find it a satisfying ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timelike Infinity.