Choco's Reviews > Stolen: A Letter to My Captor

Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Sep 03, 2011

bookshelves: 0-loved
Read from November 05 to 08, 2011

My initial thought reading the synopsis was that it was going to explore Stockholm Syndrome and that I was so not interested in it. However, some of my goodreads friends loved it, and their reviews and opinions convinced me to give it a go. I am so glad I read it as it made it to my favourite list, which has only 18 books at this point.

The captor, Ty, is an attractive guy in mid-twenties, and sixteen year-old Gemma finds him attractive when they first meet. From the start I found him creepy probably because I knew that he was going to kidnap her, and my dislike for Ty, which isn't even strong enough to describe how I felt toward him, reached its maximum point when (view spoiler) Soon after they arrive in the outback, I learned Ty's intentions for Gemma, which calmed me down a tiny bit but at the same time convinced me that Ty was a sick man in his head. Then it hits 100 pages, and I start feeling differently about the whole situation. My thought was, "What if it's good for her?" (view spoiler)
Now I had two opposing thoughts, and I was curious how the author was going to end the book. Well, it was clever. So so clever that I had to add it to my favourite list instead of my loved list. Nothing is forced, and it totally convinced me. It couldn't have been any other way. I didn't cry as I read the book. Only when I finished it, I cried for Gemma and Ty.

One last thing about Ty: (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen.

11/06/2011 page 74
11/08/2011 page 301
100.0% "OMG"

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh I loved this, enjoy

Choco It's creepy and doesn't sit well with me, at least not so far. I'm very curious where it's going to take me though.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

It's creepy as all get out but totally brilliant IMHO

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

How you feelin chicka?

Choco Had a bit of cry and now am feeling overwhelmed by how good it was!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I know right :D

Choco I'm so glad I didn't dismiss it as a creepy read, which I would've done without GR friends' rating and reviews (yours included obviously). I just want to scream THANK YOU ALL!!!!

message 8: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel t's such a page turner, isn't it? Apparently she had a different ending, but decided to change it. I always wonder what she had in the first place.

Reynje Choco, so glad you read this! When I finished, I just sat still and cried - it was such an incredible, emotional, wrenching experience..

message 10: by Choco (last edited Nov 08, 2011 02:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Choco It is, and I thought the ending was just perfect. Now I am curious but will happily remain ignorant of the original ending :) (view spoiler) LOVED it.

Choco Reynje wrote: "Choco, so glad you read this! When I finished, I just sat still and cried - it was such an incredible, emotional, wrenching experience.."

Oops! I missed your comment!
I was the same. When I finished, I couldn't move and lay down and cried, which freaked my partner out as usual :D (honestly he should get used to it by now!)
Made it to my favourite list!

Reynje Yay! Mine too :)

Choco I know! Now How to Save a Life is the only one I haven't read of your favourites :D (hope I don't sound too creepy..) As I've given 5 stars to all of them so far, I have a high expectation for How to Save a Life!

message 14: by Tracey (new) - added it

Tracey wow, i will have to move this up my list

Reynje Choco wrote: "I know! Now How to Save a Life is the only one I haven't read of your favourites :D (hope I don't sound too creepy..) As I've given 5 stars to all of them so far, I have a high expe..."

Choco Tracey wrote: "wow, i will have to move this up my list"

Choco Reynje wrote: "Haha! Well, I'm glad you're enjoying them :) Will be interesting to see what you think of How To Save A Life. I tend to give 5 stars to books that really effect me emotionally.."

The library has ordered it for me so it might be a while. I would buy it, except my partner and I intend to move at least a couple of times more for work etc. So I've developed self-control (to some extent) with book-buying. In Australia I probably own about 200, including books in Japanese, whose paperbacks tend to be really small. Books I didn't enjoy or at least want to lend to friends are exchanged or donated.. I want my own library!
(Sorry for the rant when you didn't ask for it in any way. It was a case where I saw a chance and went with it only because I was organising my bookshelves and it was on my mind :D)

Reynje I wish I could develop some self-control! When I moved to Melbourne I only brought a few of my books, but now my little library is out of control!

Every time I decide to clean it out and put some books aside to swap or donate, I get too attached and end up keeping them :) It's getting to be difficult because I've moved three times this year (not by choice!) and books are kind of unwieldy to keep moving around!

Wendy Darling This has been on my list for some time, Choco--nearly every one of my friends has loved it. I've read a bunch of books this year with similar subjects, so I'm very curious how this one will compare. I'm coming back to click on all these tempting spoilers once I get around to reading it!

Choco Same here. When I moved to Australia about 3.5 years ago, I brought five Japanese books with me. It's expanded to 200 now, and I'm not sure if it means I have self-control or not now that I think about it. I am definitely holding myself back though! I remember you mention somewhere that you moved 13 boxes of books, so I'm doing well?? :)

I can totally relate to feeling attached to books. I think that's why I try not to buy them unless I've read and loved them. And poor you for having to move three times in one year!! Hope you get to stay where you are and settle in with your precious books ;)

Choco Wendy Darling wrote: "This has been on my list for some time, Choco--nearly every one of my friends has loved it. I've read a bunch of books this year with similar subjects, so I'm very curious how this one will compare..."

Please do! I was very skeptical initially, but I'm now fully converted! :)

Reynje I think I have close to 17 boxes now :) (Plus everything I left in Queensland!)

I do love having them around me though. It makes wherever I'm living feel like "home". Fingers crossed I won't have any more moves this year!

Wendy - I can't wait to hear what you think of Stolen. It's a challenging book, definitely, but it just blew me away. I still can't quite get my head around how Lucy Christopher wrote something so powerful..

Choco Reynje wrote: "I think I have close to 17 boxes now :) (Plus everything I left in Queensland!)..."

Seventeen! That was quick!! :D You'll need a library soon! I can totally relate to feeling like home with your books around. They are the first things to pack and unpack every time I move too.

@Wendy - I agree with Reynje. I don't know how she did it and didn't lose its power until the very end.