Kim's Reviews > Magic Graves

Magic Graves by Jeaniene Frost

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: ebooks, paranormal, favourites, vampires
Read from January 19 to 20, 2012

'Magic Graves' is an ebook produced by Jeaniene Frost and Ilona Andrews which re-releases two novellas previously written for other anthologies. I loved getting the chance to read 'One for the Money' and 'A Questionable Client', because I adore both authors and I'm always desperate for more from them. I can't remember if it was ever mentioned by the authors, but I love that the stories picked for this ebook both involve Cat, Bones and Kate being bodyguards. That made me smile.

**One for the Money - Jeaniene Frost**

Night Huntress stories (particularly when Cat and Bones are involved) always make me smile. There's nothing I don't like about them, except if they're too short, which in this case it was. I know novellas are supposed to be short, but I always get a little upset when I'm really into them and find out they end.

'One for the Money' is set after 'Destined for an Early Grave' and involves Cat and Bones being pulled in from vacation to mind an heiress who has a hitman on her trail. the Night Huntress series is one where events from novellas are sometimes brought back into the main story, so I happy to finally understand some of the events that occurred during the time between books 4 and 5, which are addressed in this novella. While not essential to read, at least now I know why the club owners of Bite were so annoyed at Cat and Bones in 'This Side of the Grave' and we get to see the fading effect of vampire blood for Cat, all of which gets explained in the following books, but is easier to understand by seeing it first hand in 'One for the Money'.

I love that, despite the size of the novella, Cat and Bones get some alone time, if only for a few minutes; and that we also get to see Justina, Cat's mum. While I'm not Justina's biggest fan, I do like having her around. She's good for a laugh.

Cat and Bones were just what I needed to bring a smile to my face.
5/5 stars

**A Questionable Client - Ilona Andrews**

'A Questionable Client' is a prequel story to Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series. It details how Kate and her information expert Saiman first met. I really funny and interesting novella.

Kate is constantly mentioning in the main series that she's been on bodyguard duty in the past (particularly referencing her time guarding Saiman) and we know she hates being a guard; but now we finally get to see why. If I'd been guarding Saiman I think I would have gone mental. I have a high respect for Kate's ability to see the job through to the end.

I loved seeing Kate and Saiman before the series began. It was really interesting to see how their relationship began, with Saiman trying to guess her perfect man and Kate being frustrated by his attempts. It was like getting to know old friends again. They're exactly the way I love them and it was a really good read.

Like with the Night Huntress story, I wish it had been longer, but I'll take what I can get.
5/5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Graves.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michelle  novelsontherun I shall have to read this as I am now all up to date with Cat and Bones except all the little novellas and Night Huntress World books.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim It was fun, going backwards, you get to see all the after effects of Vlad's blood. The other AMAZING Cat and Bones novells you should read is in The Bite Before Christmas That one is DEFINITELY worth reading.

Michelle  novelsontherun Hehe...*waggles eyebrows* , I gather some uber smexi:D

I have like this list of novellas I have to catch up on for a few authors, I need a week in Novellas as a posting, I may just do that. I got 2 Soul Screamers ones done and then ...got off track, so much to read:D

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Uber UBER smexi. And heaps interesting too, with a massive twist at the end.

Tell me about it...I'm put myself on a book buying ban until I can get through most of the unread books I have at the moment. Hopefully it'll actually work this time, because I told myself the ban started on the weekend and then bought a book yesterday, so it's not going too well.

Michelle  novelsontherun Hehe!! I have a lot of Indie authors I must dedicate time to. I try to please everyone and then get in a pickle...I am trying:D

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Make sure you read a few fun things/things you're desperate for at the same time though.

Michelle  novelsontherun I do try to do something from each pile or else the fun factor goes down. But still..loads to do all the time. I do enjoy my Urban Fantasy at night time. Nice dream material..hehe!