Stephen's Reviews > St. Peter's Fair

St. Peter's Fair by Ellis Peters

Sep 20, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, detective-stories, books-read-in-2011
Read from September 09 to 21, 2011

Another great installment in the Cadfael series. I'm really enjoying these mysteries and the time I get to spend enjoying England of that era (without the aromas).

This book like the earlier ones is richer, more complex and more enjoyable than the television series that was based on them. This is particularly the case in this story as the screenwriter took considerable liberties with the original story, mostly for the worse.

In the book Cadfael and Berringer are fast friends, Brother Mark is here instead of Oswin and we get to see Aline again, now as Hugh's wife and expecting their first child. Even the scamp from Monk's Hood makes a cameo appearance. I'm not sure why the screenwriter felt the need to create all the tension between Hugh and Cadfael in the television adaptation. The two work much better as friends. I can see eliminating many aspects of this book's romance in order to fit the alloted time but Emma, the wine merchant's niece was kind of gutted for TV consumption. She's a much more likeable and winning (and believeable) character in the book.

Again, I'm not much of a die-hard mystery buff but I enjoy these as they give me an opportunity to spend time in that era.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read St. Peter's Fair.

09/16/2011 page 48
09/19/2011 page 109
49.0% "I'm particularly enjoying the added complexity of this story as written as opposed to how it was presented on TV. The sheriff and Cadfael are much more equals and collaborators thna the heightened drama and conflict required for TV viewing would allow. Also the winemerchant's Neice is more fully human and believable"