Nikki's Reviews > Match Me If You Can

Match Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Sep 08, 11

bookshelves: own-ebook, best-h-h-ever, favourites, delicious-hero, perfect-heroine, contemporary, sports-romance-series, 5-stars
Recommended to Nikki by: Anna & Jill
Recommended for: CR readers who enjoy quirky H/h friends to lovers with a sporty theme.
Read from September 05 to 06, 2011

5 stars.

Perfectly written from start to finish, Heath and Annabelle's gradual relationship from a professional standpoint to friendship and love was hilarious and heartwarming. I loved it. One of the best contemporary romances I've ever read.

I really liked Annabelle as a character - she was so cheeky and I loved her sense of humour. I also really valued her work ethic and the passion that she had to make her matchmaking business such a success.

I think that's something that Annabelle and Heath had in common; they both worked really hard to get where they wanted to go. In Heath's professional life he had been established for much longer and therefore quite a lot more successful. But it was still a really nice aspect of the book (even though Heath spent a LOT of time taking/making calls :P).

Heath was fabulous. I don't think I could pigeonhole him as a particular type of hero and in saying that I feel the need to comment on the fact that SEP's characters are definitely unique from one to the other. She does an amazing job in not using the same old character formula in each of her novels. In just the 3 books of hers that I've read, each respective H/h are completely different in personality.

But I digress. Reading an SEP (and for me, especially this one) is like watching a movie. The writing is so well done - not overly descriptive, or heavy and drab - it immerses you into a world that is so three dimensional that you have to remind yourself that you're reading a book.

The quirky, lighthearted plot and the banter between characters made this a joy to read. Annabelle's business and indeed her relationship with her most exclusive and difficult client (Heath) was one of my favourite aspects of the book. They built up a rapport and friendship that kept a smile on my face throughout the entire book and I love the fact that they just got each other.

I don't think this could really be classified as a sports romance even though it's part of an SR series. I would have loved more football stuff but honestly it was perfect just the way it was. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Match Me If You Can.

09/05/2011
87.0% "This has spellbound me. I really want to forget everything I've read and go back to the start so I can enjoy it all over again!" 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill So glad you loved it Nikki! SEP is just fabulous. And I agree with everything in your review. Heath and Annabelle are perfect.

Nikki Thanks Jill. And thanks for helping me discover her. :)

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill Hey, what are friends for?!

Juliana Great review! Loved this book too :-).

Nikki Thanks Juliana! :)

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Great review, Nikki. Everyone seems to love this author.

Nikki Thanks Catherine. SEP is a fabulous author, she really casts a spell over you as you read. And this book was definitely my favourite of the series (so far).

message 8: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I love 5 star reads. They always make me so happy.

Juliana Catherine wrote: "Great review, Nikki. Everyone seems to love this author."

Have you not read SEP??

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Juliana wrote: "Have you not read SEP??"

Nope. I'm not really attracted to her storylines or what I've heard of her.

Nikki I probably never would have picked up an SEP book if it wasn't for Jill and Anna telling me about her. And also some of her blurbs aren't really fabulously enticing, so I can see what you mean Catherine.

In saying that, she writes like a dream.

Juliana Yes, I've found when I like one of her books, I love it! I read one or two duds that were hits with most other people but didn't click for me.

That being said, I really recommend this and Heaven, Texas . I loved that one - ending was a little over the top and could have used more polishing IMO, but all in all I adored it.