MaryTank's Reviews > Sleep Toward Heaven

Sleep Toward Heaven by Amanda Eyre Ward

Sep 02, 11

bookshelves: worthreading

This one will take you on a painful journey of the meaning of life, death and forgiveness; which is so individual and complex. The story centers on death row inmate women, their warden, a disheartened doctor and the victims families. This is a Thought provoking study of the pain their crimes cause the victims families and themselves. I question the value of years of waiting to be executed and the impact it has on both the inmates and the victims families. I didn't feel pity for the women who were waiting their turn for the lethal injection, but i wonder if there is true closure for the victims families from witnessing the executions. The crimes of each prisoner were so horrendous that I could not justify in my mind anything other than a humanitarian removal from society. Yet I was left with the question, why anyone is capable of such horror and are the inmates capable of understanding the pain they have inflicted outside their own misery. Do the long years of waiting on appeals change them, give them time to look beyond their own psychosis and find pity for their victims. Lastly, how do victims families forgive in order to live their lives without hate?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleep Toward Heaven.