Jess's Reviews > Supernatural

Sep 08, 2011

liked it
Read from September 02 to 04, 2011

Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads

Anthologies tend to be hit or miss for me. Normally, I’ll be familiar with only 1 or 2 of the authors and the series their individual short story relates to. In this case, it was 3 for 4, I’m a big fan of 3 series that are included and I couldn’t wait to see what the authors offered up.

Vampire Fight Club – 4/5
I love this world that Larissa has created and we get a little taste of Underworld General as well as a reference to her new Lords of Deliverance series. I really enjoyed Lena, and her attitude of having nothing left to lose as she tries to figure out who murdered her brother. Nate comes off very hard initially, working undercover himself, but when Lena shows up his protective instincts hit overdrive and they ended up having a sweet and sexy story. There was a lot packed into 100 pages, and I was left wanting more. Not a bad feeling, but certainly a curse of the short story.

Darkness Eternal – DNR
I’m not rating this one. I started out reading it, but it just didn’t hold my attention. I haven’t been following this series and honestly, it didn’t grab me from the start, so I passed it.

Kane – 2.5/5
The Nightwalkers series is a favorite and with a new full length book coming up, I was excited to read this one. It’s really just ok. There wasn’t much depth to the story, there was a lot of explaining about the Nightwalkers, who they are, what imprinting is – which I get is important if you haven’t read any of the books in the series, but it just ate up pages and didn’t offer anything new for this specific story. It was good to get back into this world, but I ended up being a bit underwhelmed with the story.

Dragon on Top – 4.5/5

“We all make mistakes, Ghleanna. The point is not to dwell on them.”

“Easy enough for you. You probably never make mistakes. When you fart, I bet rainbows shoot out your ass.”

This was the stand out of the book for me – this story read like a mini-novel. It’s the longest story in the collection and it was packed. I do wonder how people who have never read the series will catch on to the world and characters, there’s not much in the way of background given, but since the story focuses primarily on Bram and Ghleanna, there’s not much that needs to be known outside of what’s directly impacting them. I love Bram. Love him. Maybe it’s his way of losing all sense of time when he’s reading or writing, or his deadly fire breathing ability, that he only brings out when it’s most needed. Which just proves he might come off as a non-violent peace maker, but don't ever, ever cross him. On the outside they’re the ultimate odd couple, but they click and their banter (as is the case in any Dragon series book) drives the story and makes me laugh out loud.

Overall, I give the book a 3.5/5 – The first three stories come in at around 100 pages each, while Dragon on Top is the longest, at just shy of 200 pages. For the most part, these stories can be read by any fan of paranormal romance, but fans of each individual series will get a little bit more out of the stories.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Supernatural.

09/03/2011 page 219
46.0% "Really enjoyed L. Ione's story - packed quite a bit into 100 pgs. Moving on to "Kane" by J. Frank."
09/04/2011 page 304
65.0% "Done with "Kane" - liked it but wanted more, curse of the short story. On to Dragon on Top *snicker*"