Sarah Key's Reviews > The Peach Keeper

2068329
Sep 04, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011

This is the third book I've read by Sarah Addison Allen this past year, and I'm kind of getting sick of her. Her constant themes of perfectionism is getting on my nerves. Perfection doesn't usually make for very good fiction. It's boring. A lot of the elements she uses in her books are the same (coffee, candy, rich people, eco-friendly, etc.) It feels like I'm reading the same thing over and over again.

Allen is very good at creating a handful of characters and then drawing lines of drama between them, just as she does in this novel. The plot comes together this way, and the skill comes naturally to her, but unlike her other books, her characters seemed to be fairly less interesting than they normally are. The only person I really cared for was Rachel, and she was a secondary character.

The Peach Keeper was more chick-lit than anything. (I'm no chick-lit fan.) It's not hardcore southern fiction like everyone keeps claiming, and the amount of magical realism in it was severely lessened in comparison to her other books. Allen really needed to focus more on Tucker Devlin if she was going to bring this book up onto the level of Garden Spells and The Sugar Queen. Yet, she got lost in the romance and drama of her other characters instead.

Perhaps, I didn't get a lot from this book because I recently read Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box which is one of the most bad ass ghost stories I've ever read, or maybe I'm just very tired of Allen's idealism. I'm not sure what it was, but I know that if this would have been the first Sarah Addison Allen book I ever picked up, I never would have read any of her other works.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Peach Keeper.