Lori Holbein-Gutierrez's Reviews > Sisters Red

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Sep 02, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, adventure

Summary
Two young sisters witness the gruesome death of their grandmother by the jaws of a Fenris and narrowly escape their own deaths. After this tragedy, Scartlett decides to make it her life calling to protect other innocent young girls from the same fate. Rosie believes it is her duty to kill as many wolves as possible after her older sister, Scarlett sacrificed herself to protect her sister from the deadly jaws of the Fenris. They are excited when Scarlett's Fenris fighting partner and the girl's friend, Silas returns from San Francisco. In order to protect more "innocents" from dying the three of them decide to temporarily move to Atlanta. They begin a new and dangerous journey in the city to find the "Potential Fenris" which would allow them to kill off the species. With their red capes and weapons they set into the night to begin slaying the Fenris. Rosie develops strong feelings for Silas and doesn't share the same commitment to hunting Fenris every night like her sister. Rosie finds herself hiding the truth from her sister to prevent hurting her. Will she risk losing her sister to follow her heart?

Personal Reaction
I found it an interesting spin-off from Little Red Riding Hood. The author did an amazing job of keeping the reader interested in what was going to happen next. It was difficult for me to put the book down. I kept wanting to know who the Potential was and what just what was Rosie going to do. The reader was left with very vivid images of each Fenris encounter and each emotion of the main characters in the story. Sisters Red was a very entertaining read.

Classroom Extension Ideas
The students will write their own epilogue for 6 months after the ending of the story. I would try to encourage them not to read the book's epilogue, so we could enjoy all the different endings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sisters Red.