Julie Isen's Reviews > The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible As Literally As Possible

The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs

Oct 06, 12

Read from September 02, 2011 to October 06, 2012

Jacobs has made a career out of trying the crazy, weird and inconvenient and maintaining it for a year (reading the encyclopedia, being healthy, being a test subject). Most of it can be interesting or entertaining for a while, but none too truly engaging as the bible challenge. I, a Jew who has a strong religious background in the intellectual sense - even going so far as to minor in Jewish and religious studies in college, found myself questioning my actions and beliefs while reading this book. It's eye opening for anyone who has questioned or considered religion and at the same time is deeply personal to the author. While in the end Jacobs winds up with a philosophy very similar to my own, the journey he takes to get there is still enlightening and fascinating to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Living Biblically.

Quotes Julie Liked

A.J. Jacobs
“I'm still agnostic. But in the words of Elton Richards, I'm now a reverant agnostic. Which isn't an oxymoron, I swear. I now believe that whether or not there's a God, there is such a thing as sacredness. Life is sacred. The Sabbath can be a sacred day. Prayer can be a sacred ritual. There is something transcendent, beyond the everyday. It's possible that humans created this sacredness ourselves, but that doesn't take away from its power or importance.”
A.J. Jacobs, The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible

08/16/2012 page 35