Tina's Reviews > Only Time Will Tell

Only Time Will Tell by Jeffrey Archer

F 50x66
Sep 02, 11

Read in August, 2011 — I own a copy

I haven't read Jeffrey Archer for years, and now I wonder why. This new series featuring Harry Clifton, son of a dockworker (or is he the son of an upper crust owner of a huge shipping line?), and his climb through the British public school system is going to be a delight if this first one of five is any indication. Make no mistake, this is not a Pulitzer, but it is good, solid storytelling, with bold characters, a world wide setting, and a story that has enough twists, turns, and sneaky heart-stoppers to definitely merit the label "page turner."

The story involves Harry, as he grows from an angelic choirboy into an intelligent, hardworking young man faced with the difficult choice of going to Oxford upon graduation from the US equivalent of high school, or joining the armed forces as Britain enters the war against Hitler. His romance with the sister of his best friend, together with some of the aforementioned story twists makes his choice even more difficult. Harry's mother, a hard-working widow, who takes a series of back-breaking jobs to help with Harry's expenses, is harboring a secret about Harry's parentage. This secret, if revealed could destroy lives, and Archer skillfully weaves his story around it.

My only problem with the book was the absolutely sucker punch ending. I was left gasping, yelling "Don't do that to me!!." I will be among thousands lined up to get my hands on the second book in the series to find out what happens next. The Clifton Chronicles promises to keep us all enthralled for several years to come.
48 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Only Time Will Tell.

Michelle Dickerson Tina, I thought the same thing. I haven't read him in a long time, but I really like his stories.