Amos Fairchild's Reviews > Treespeaker

Treespeaker by Katie W. Stewart

Sep 10, 11

Recommended for: Anyone
Read from September 07 to 10, 2011 — I own a copy

Jakan's people live a peaceful existence at one with their world and their forest, but that is threatened with the arrival of a mysterious stranger. The village 'treespeaker' and spiritual leader, Jakan, must battle great loss, both of love and the respect of his peers, to save his world, his people' and his beloved forest. Meanwhile his son, Dovan, must find his place within a troubled land.

This is a very refreshing tale that expressed themes which I found close to my heart. It is not a story of great battle and traditional heroes in shining armour, but rather the struggle of real people in a world rich in culture and its own unique and subtle magic. The story starts at a steady pace allowing the reader to know the well rounded and sometimes flawed characters well, and yet it is quite a page turner once the intrigue begins to build.

I did get briefly lost amongst the many names early on in the piece as there were quite a few, but this was not a problem as the novel progressed and the key players became obvious. Other than that I felt this was well written and well presented, which is always tricky in the electronic format that I read the work in.

I am kind of hoping there might be a sequel as there seems to be a seed left there that seems very promising and I would love to learn more of the wider world outside the forest. If not, then I'm sure the author has something else special on the way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Treespeaker.