Dena's Reviews > Skulduggery Pleasant

Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy

Sep 02, 11

Read in August, 2011

Summary: When Stephanie's Uncle Gordon dies, she is left with his mansion and the royalties of his novels. After Stephanie sees a mysterious figure creeping around the mansion, she begins to wonder if he may have had something to do with her uncle's death. Stephanie soon crosses paths with Skulduggery Pleasant, a skeleton wizard, and they work together to solve Uncle Gordon's murder. Along the way, Skulduggery and Stephanie learn that her uncle hid a sceptre underneath his mansion, and the two, along with Tanith and Ghastly, face off against the evil Serpine to gain possession of the sceptre.

Personal Reaction: I have to say, I don't typically read horror/fantasy books. But, there were elements of this book I liked. I'm big on allusion, so references to opera, religion, and mythology were a nice touch. I'm not sure why, but portions of this book reminded me of Ellen Raskin's "The Westing Game." (This has been one of my favorite books since I read it in intermediate school.) Overall, this weasn't a bad read, but I don't see myself reading the other books in the series.

Extension Ideas:
1. Have students research Wagner's operas. After listening to his music, students can select one of his compositions and create a "soundtrack" for a recent book they have read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skulduggery Pleasant.