All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Undeadly

Nov 11, 12

bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in November, 2012

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy See site review for similar titles

I’m split right down the middle with UNDEADLY. I loved the Egyptian mythology based world that included reapers, zombies, and ghosts. The pacing was excellent especially the chapter endings which made it nearly impossibly to put the book down. And there were numerous surprise twists. What was less enjoyable was Molly.

As a protagonist, Molly had a very strong voice. Unfortunately, it was hard to stomach for most of UNDEADLY. She’s very young, very self-absorbed, and very annoying. Every other page it was ‘whatevs’ or ‘hel-lo‘. She only sixteen, but she came across more like a petulant eleven year old. It’s a testament to the plot and pacing that Molly didn’t completely ruin the book. About halfway through, she seemed to tone down the more annoying aspects of her personality, but she still cast and unfortunate cloud over the book.

UNDEADLY has potential with strong world building, unique Egyptian mythology, and an exciting and fast-paced narrative. If only the protagonist had been more palatable. The character of Molly makes this a read that will likely only appeal to younger tweens. The Reaper Diaries continues in 2013 with UNCHOSEN.

Sexual Content:
Kissing
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undeadly.

Maria Ah sorry it was not that fun for you Abbi!I actually enjoy it.. till a sort of level ofcource but nothing that huge! Ahhh and i was raving about it to you when i took it too =(

All Things Urban Fantasy Maria wrote: "Ah sorry it was not that fun for you Abbi!I actually enjoy it.. till a sort of level ofcource but nothing that huge! Ahhh and i was raving about it to you when i took it too =("

I liked everything but Molly. This was a case were the protagonist just ruined an otherwise good book.

Maria Yes i was uncomfortable as well with how Molly dialog was and all but then i remember her age and all. I believe the mythology and the suspense near the end saved it!