Lara's Reviews > George's Secret Key to the Universe

George's Secret Key to the Universe by Stephen Hawking

Sep 07, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, audiobooks, science-nature, math-physics, space, action-adventure, juvenile
Read from September 02 to 07, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I probably only liked this book 2-stars worth, but Hugh Dancy's reading ups it by a star, because that, at least, was pretty great. At the beginning, I loved this. It had a real fairy-tail-like quality to it, and it actually seemed very smart and funny. Only once we got to Eric's house, things quickly deteriorated. For me, at least. I found the lecture aspects of the dialogue really irritating, and the whole idea of Cosmos, this magical computer that can send you into outer space, a little too cheesy and ridiculous. Things just seemed too over-the-top and trite at the same time (especially when it came to Greaper and Ringo and his gang and George's parents), and I found the vast majority of this book pretty tedious. I get what the Hawkings were trying to do here, and I can appreciate that, but I think it could have been done a lot better. Still, I am clearly long past the age for which this book was actually written (elementary school, I believe), and maybe as a kid it's excellent. As an adult though? Not so impressed.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read George's Secret Key to the Universe.

09/02/2011
10.0% "The writing is pretty uneven so far (sometimes funny and delightful, other times too over-simplified and wooden), but the reading? Absolutely spectacular! I love you, Hugh Dancy!"
09/06/2011
75.0% "Ready to be done with this. It's just...not great."
show 2 hidden updates…