David's Reviews > Hero

Hero by Perry Moore

M 50x66
Dec 26, 11

bookshelves: crap-stay-away, teen

Okay, to get some things out of the way: I support gay rights and I'm not bashing this because I don't like the fact that the main character is gay.

It is obvious that the author wanted to make a strong, gay main character, but Thom just falls flat with this. His sexuality seems undefined, and unimpressive.

The plot itself is unbelievable. One good example is one of Thom's teammates is seriously ill, yet Thom doesn't even offer To help her, throughout the entire movie. Had there been a refusal by the teammate, it may have served an important lesson or at least advanced the plot, yet we are expected to believe that Thom, who has healing powers, doesn't even think of healing his supposed friend.

In the greater plot the enemy is generic, and doesn't seem to make sense. There were parts that didn't seem to make sense, particularly in terms of dark hero and all that. Sadly, a movie that was obviously supposed to be a character-based book with a fairly generic plot, but Thom seems distant and hard to connect with, and gaps in logic fail to makes it hard to enjoy this book and enjoy seeing a strong character that is different from the 'normal' teen protagonist. Thom was obnoxious and you couldn't help but think about how, while he might be a 'hero', he very rarely is heroic, and never is it purposeful.

UPDATE (12/26/2011): Wow. I started to relisten to it, and I can't believe that was first review was so good. Really, 1-star is rediculesly high for this book.

The main character is an asshole. He looks down on those who are not as lucky as him, and assumes that having an accent means that person just got to America. Never read this awful book. Period.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hero.