Karen's Reviews > A Company of Swans

A Company of Swans by Eva Ibbotson

Sep 02, 2011

bookshelves: youth-fiction
Read in September, 2011

I surprised myself and liked this book more than I thought I would. Since I used to dance, I was probably swayed by the nostalgia of reading a bunch of french ballet terms and feeling intelligent understanding the references to famous ballerinas. But, even without all that, it remains that, I really liked Harriet.

I liked that she was Good. And yes, I intended that capital G. She grew up in such a harsh atmosphere, but instead of making her afraid or bitter, is made her thirsty for information and hungry for life and love. She gives without expecting in return. She buries her sadness in hard work. She cares deeply for her friends and associates, and makes those around her BE better people. Just because she is so aware and in love with people and the world around her.

The 'unfortunate' circumstances in her life were portrayed in such a way that you could laugh and shake your head and the absolute ridiculousness that can come from those who think too much of themselves and their own rules, rather than feel heartsick and depressed.

And the romance was great. Although, in the end, the conclusion that relations before marriage is a fantastic way to go and it'll all work out for you...of course bothered me. But the romance, the part where love makes you better and more, was great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Company of Swans.