Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > Archangel's Storm

Archangel's Storm by Nalini Singh

Posted on Under the Covers

Jason, the spymaster and one of Raphael’s Seven has always been in the shadows. It’s what makes him good at his job, but as readers we don’t know much about him. In ARCHANGEL’S STORM, the fifth book in the Guild Hunter series, Singh reveals those long awaited secrets in a way that devastates and dazzles.

When Jason takes a blood vow that will place him front and center in Neha’s territory, he meets Princess Mahiya, a woman whose strength is silent, but is still as lethal as a blade. Neha’s husband and consort, Eris is found murdered and mutilated in his prison so it is Jason and Mahiya’s task to find out what happened. Several other murders occur and cause suspicion to rise and ask whether or not the strings of deaths are coincidence or calculated.

The romance between Jason and Mahiya is slow and steady. It wouldn’t have been true to the characters if Jason suddenly turned into a seducer. He has always been the most reserved of the Seven and he takes his duty seriously. So even though the sexual tension between the Spymaster and the Princess is off the charts, Singh develops a slow burn that sizzles through the pages of this book. Similarly, Mahiya is a shy woman who shows more vulnerability than any of the other heroines we’ve met so far. She isn’t an ass-kicker like Elena or Honor or even Ash, but she does display moments of courage and strength. It’s just more in a subtle way.

Thinking back on this, I think Mahiya and Jason were a perfect fit for one another. Though this book may not be my favorite of the series, there are still some devastating moments in this book that took my breath away. Jason’s backstory in particular was heartbreaking to read. I only wished Singh delved deeper into that dark time so readers could learn more about Jason.

There is also a steady amount of action in this book that really showcased Singh’s ability to write fast-paced fight scenes. It just shows how well developed and well-rounded a writer Singh is! Her writing continues to enchant readers with her vivid descriptions and dark tinge to her words. I’m definitely looking forward to returning to Elena and Raphael after this book. Singh never fails to impress.

*ARC provided by publisher
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Archangel's Storm.

06/06/2012 page 7
2.0% "JASON!!!" 2 comments
06/06/2012 page 51
15.0% "Omg, I love Nalini's writing!"
06/06/2012 page 100
30.0% 2 comments
06/07/2012 page 201
60.0% "Sexy time!!!!"
06/07/2012 page 250
74.0% 4 comments

message 1: by Daphne (new) - added it

Daphne You are so lucky to have received the arc.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Yeah, I got lucky with this one.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Yeah, I got lucky with this one.

message 4: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Wimberly I am so jealous right now

Brie C. OMG! Does is say at the end something about the next Psy/Changeling book? Maybe a title or who's the next hero *cough* Kaleb *cough* (yeah, yeah, keep dreaming...)

Beth I have to say, I'm VERY envious of you right now!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) It's a good read, guys :)

Tracy I must ask, what is Mahiya like?

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) She is the most different from all the heroines we have seen so far. Um, she isn't so much a warrior as the rest of the girls. But there is this core strength about her too.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) What did you think of this Annie? I finished it yesterday

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Hmm, see I only gave it 3.5 stars! Dayum.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I liked it, but maaaaaaaaybe not as much as the others.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I just wasn't feeling it with Mahiya and Jason and...is her writing normally so OTT? For some reason it bugged the bloody hell out of me!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Really? Actually, my friend said that too about this one. I didn't mind it.

I thought the romance was more subdued, but that's also true to Jason's character.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Yeah, I suppose it was true to his character but I just found this book a teensy tiny MASSIVE bit annoying LOL! Escpecially after the awesomeness of Dmitri's book.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LMAO!! yes, I looooooooved Dmitri's book.

It was good, but probably not my fave.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Me to, Dmitri was sexy as hell, I wasn't feeling Jason though. Damnit! I hope I like the next book more, I didn't like her Psy Changeling one very much either

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Yeah last year I thought she had an amazing year. Her stuff this year was good, but not the best.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Yeah, I thought the same, ahwell, I am still going to be reading everythign she writes lmao

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Haha me too! Still can't help it!

Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus I am going to devour this book as soon as I purchase it for my Kindle! I am due for a Singh written world!

Melanie Great review Annie! I'm looking forward to getting to this one...