Dave Lester's Reviews > Intelligent Design: The Bridge Between Science and Theology

Intelligent Design by William A. Dembski

M 50x66
"Intelligent Design" is the seminal, flagship book of the Intelligent Design movement and William Dembski is certainly regarded as one of the leaders. I must confess that large portions of this book were over my head. Dembski's mind is one to be reckoned with.

Of course, this book (and movement) have been mocked by scientists and dismissed. I would agree partially with the critics. I believe it is impossible to link intelligent design (ie, pointing to a god or Creator) as strictly scientific. This book should rightly fall mostly in the philosophy category but having said that, Dembski's argument (as much as I can tell) is certainly compelling.

The work is organized into three parts: the first section is in regard to the historical backdrop of the debate about theology and science. Part two talks about the theory of design specifically and what Dembski would say is scientific argumentation that leans that way. The final part is arguing that science and theology can go together. In a simplistic way, the author suggests that since God created the world, science is a way of understanding what He has created and that the world (in many ways) points to him.

Well worth the read for those looking to understand the ID movement or gain a grasp on the issues that relate to the philosopy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Intelligent Design.