Nikki's Reviews > The Single Girl's To-Do List

Jul 17, 2012

bookshelves: chick-lit, read-in-2011
Read in January, 2011

Reviewed at JudgingCovers.co.uk

Lindsey Kelk is best known for her I Heart series; a trio of books adored by many chick lit readers. I read I Heart New York a few years ago and enjoyed the witty style of writing, but there was something about the plot that didn’t click with me. I found it quite unrealistic, and perhaps a bit too light and sugary, so I never got round to reading the rest of the series.

Even so, I still felt like Kelk was an author to look out for, and the synopsis for The Single Girl’s To-Do List caught my attention while on a hunt for summer reading. As far as holiday companions go, this turned out to be a great one.

The protagonist, Rachel, is dumped by her long-term boyfriend and is faced with single life for the first time in years. Her best friends, Emelie and Matthew, are immediately on hand (and remain there, 24-7) to help her deal with the break up, and they soon come up with a plan to help mend her broken heart. Rachel is well-known for writing lists (I’m firmly with her on that one: there are approximately six To-Do lists floating around in my handbag right now) and so the friends put her obsessive tendencies to good use, creating a Single Girl’s To-Do list. Rachel must achieve each point on the list to celebrate her singledom: get a makeover, travel somewhere, go on a date, get a tattoo, and so on.

The three main characters are fantastic. Rachel is likeable from the start, but Emelie and Matthew almost steal the show – they make a fabulous supporting cast, and the trio work perfectly. Their friendship, along with Rachel’s reaction to her break up, make this story feel very real. If you’ve ever been dumped you’ll relate to Rachel’s feelings, and even though some of the points on the To-Do were a little adventurous, Kelk has created characters that make you believe it’s all possible. Partly because they spend a lot of the early days getting ridiculously drunk and waking up to a deathly hangover. Which is definitely what I would do in such a situation.

One little niggly complaint? I didn’t like the way the characters used the word ‘slag’. That word makes me cringe.

The Single Girl’s To-Do List is a light read, but a heartwarming one. At a few points during the book I thought I knew how things would turn out, but I was wrong. I loved the ending, and am so glad that the predictable rom-com storyline I expected wasn’t quite right. This is a book about how your friends are the most important people in your life, and how there is absolutely nothing wrong with being ‘alone’… because if you’ve got friends, you’re never really alone. It proves that single life can be great, and that you don’t need a relationship to be happy with your life.

Suffering a broken heart? Here’s your To-Do list: Buy this book.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Single Girl's To-Do List.