Mari Jo's Reviews > Jumanji

Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg

F_50x66
Sep 05, 11

Read in September, 2011

Our group chose Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg as our "read aloud" project in school; of course, this author also wrote the wildly popular Polar Express. Students are also aware that both of these books were made into movies. The author does such a wonderful job of drawing the reader in to the story through the powerful choice of words, plot, and illustrations that are black and white yet make the reader imagaine more detail; maybe this is the author's intention: to make the reader use their imagination and have a transaction with the text to make the scene play out in more detail. What I love about this author is that he always has a twist to the plot that carries a message of childhood innocence and grown up's who have become oblivious to children, their feelings, and this makes a connection to children who read the book. The reader is drawn in to the story as the 2 protagonists, Judy and Peter, are left alone for the day by their parents. The use of similies "see their breath like steam" add to the literary experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jumanji.