Dave's Reviews > The President Is a Sick Man: Wherein the Supposedly Virtuous Grover Cleveland Survives a Secret Surgery at Sea and Vilifies the Courageous Newspaperman Who Dared Expose the Truth

The President Is a Sick Man by Matthew Algeo

Sep 10, 11

Read from September 02 to 06, 2011

My first reaction was: President Cleveland is sick? Wait until this guy finds out he's dead? Can you imagine how long the book title will be then?

I thought this was a perfect 3 1/2-star book, but I bumped it up because I found the bit about the Wizard of Oz totally fascinating. I will never look at it the same way again. Plus it's a great cocktail story beyond telling everyone those damn flying monkeys always scared the crap out of me.

The author's subtle attempts to draw parallels between the 1890s and today were quite interesting. We're still arguing about many of the economic issues that troubled folks 100-plus years ago. So much for progress!

Ever since I saw President Cleveland's tumor at the Mutter's Museum, I always wondered if there was a story behind it. But I had no idea it was such a good story about a supposedly upstanding president who covered up a surgery for fear that the markets would collapse. This book is definitely worth the read, even if the title is almost as long as the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The President Is a Sick Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (new)

Dawn That's quite a title.