Rick's Reviews > Happily Ever After

Happily Ever After by John Klima

4720989
Sep 02, 11

Read in August, 2011

a collection of mostly re-printed short stories which rethink classic fairy tales. Some are excellent. some are less so. I guess that's to be expected in a collection of this sort. I will confess that although I enjoyed reading almost all of the stories (and only gave up on two), it is a very long volume, and I grew somewhat tired of its conceit before I reached the end. It might be better read in spurts, separated by other reading ventures.

I don't have the volume in front of me, so my memory of specific authors/titles is a bit hazy. Some impressions follow:

loved the Mr Simonelli story, although I'd already read it in Clarke's collection of short stories.
also loved the one sci-fi story in the collection, which rethinks Puss 'n Boots.
And the story about "Paul" the giant, and his flight from the 'jacks' (titled "spirit of the west" or something) was exceptional.

lots of other good ones in there, but as it took me a while to get through, I'm having trouble recalling other specifics.

I'll agree with other reviewers that there are too many reworkings of Little Red Riding Hood.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happily Ever After.