Patrick Coman's Reviews > George's Marvellous Medicine

George's Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl

M 50x66
Sep 02, 11

George’s Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl
For my first review I looked at George’s Marvellous medicine by Roald Dahl. Roald Dahl was without doubt my favourite author as a child and so was drawn to review one of his books.
The plot centres around George, a young boy living on a farm with his Father, Mother and grumpy Grandmother. His Grandmother is particularly nasty to George and the reader instantly dislikes her. Everyday at 11am, George has to give his Grandmother her medicine. One day, George concocts a potion of many varied and dangerous ingredients, including animal pills, in order to cure her of her grumpiness. He swaps his medicine with her regular medicine and the results astound George as his Grandmother shoots up to become taller than a house. When his Father finds out what has happened, he encourages George to create more of the potion to give to his animals. Howver, George cannot remember the ingredients. No matter how many times he tries he is always missing an ingredient. After several attempts they find one concoction that makes animals shrink and so, decide to give it to His Grandmother. They give her a whole cupful and she shrinks until she disappears. No one is very worried and decide that it is best that Grandma is gone.
Roald Dahl is an author that every child should be encouraged to read.The biggest feature of this book for me is the imagination Dahl uses throughout the book, from how the medicine is made to the different reactions that each batch produces. Humour is also very apparent in this book and through both these features it draws in the reader. I think that this is a very suitable book for children aged 7 and above as some of the descriptions can be seen as quite dark for some younger children, however the humour and imagination in the book should encourage children to explore their own imagination further.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read George's Marvellous Medicine.