Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > Endgame

Endgame by Ann Aguirre

Ever since I started blogging, I've been going on and on about Ann Aguirre's books and how much I love them. The time has come for me to tell you why. Ann Aguirre understands life, she understands love, she understands war and the very basic human nature. She knows what makes people tick and how far they would go to defend what they love and that knowledge reflects in her work. Endgame is no exception. If anything, it is the best of her books so far.

In Endgame, last book of the series, Sirantha Jax makes good on her promise to Loras and travels to La’heng, accompanied by Vel, to try to free the La’hengrin from the Nicuans. The cure for the shinai-bond is finally functional, if not entirely safe, and Loras’s people have a chance to stand up and fight, something they haven’t had in a very long time.
When peaceful measures fail to convince Nicuan nobles to make the cure available to the La’hengrin, Loras, Jax, Vel and a few other very competent friends are left with no choice but to form the La’heng Liberation Army and start a war to free Loras’s people from slavery.

A war is never glamorous, no matter how just the cause. It always means hard choices and sacrifice for everyone involved. It means being hungry, filthy and cold. It means blurring the line between right and wrong, committing atrocities in the name of freedom and losing yourself while fighting for what you believe in. That is the side of war Aguirre decided to show us, and I can’t thank her enough for it. It is the side we rarely get to see.

Jax doesn’t get to be a hero in Endgame. She doesn’t get to rush in, make a wild and stupid decision that somehow ends up working despite the odds, and save the day. Not because she isn’t capable of pulling it off, she is, she’s done it before, but because we all become insignificant and small in the face of war, including Sirantha Jax.

It is hard to believe that something that started as a sci-fi romance series, a sub-genre that’s rarely taken seriously, ended up being so full of valuable lessons. Seeing the world through Jax’s eyes, enjoying her unique worldview, learning about the way she prioritizes and deals with the consequences taught me a thing or two about myself. And yet, Jax never took the intensely philosophical and lecturing tone. If anything, her chopped up grammar and matter-of-fact way make her a very unlikely source for Big Truths of Life. She just told her story like it is and you’re free to take away whatever you want from it.

This is not a love story.
It is my life, and as such, there is love, loss, war, death, and sacrifice. It’s about things that needed to be done and the choices made. I regret nothing.

Eleven is the number of books by Ann Aguirre I’ve read and loved so far. She is the only author in the world I can say that about. The fact that she’ll keep writing makes it easier for me to say goodbye to Jax. No one will ever replace her, but I know that so many other fantastic heroines sleep in Aguirre’s mind, waiting to be awoken and introduced to the world. Jax deserves her rest.

Goodbye, Jax. Mary bless and keep you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Endgame.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Ohh, the cover is SO awesome.

message 2: by Catie (new)

Catie Yay!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) So wonderful, Catie. Also, one of the most realistic depictions of war I've come across in a long time. More depth than we've learned to expect from genre fiction.

message 4: by Catie (new)

Catie So many series are ending well (or at least not crashing and burning) this month! I am in the middle of Blackout and I think I'm going to just read for the rest of the day. I am completely caught up in it.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Blackout was really a satisfying ending. I expected it to be more emotional, though. Feed set some pretty high standards. But i get what you mean about reading through the day - her pacing is just so amazing, i was unable to put it down from start to finish.

message 6: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Please tell me I'm not going to cry as hard as I did with "Aftermath".

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Nah. I cried my eyes out with Aftermath too. No worries.

Regina Beautiful review! So heartfelt. Your love for her writing shines through.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Thanks so much, Regina. I really tried to do the series justice, but it wasn't easy. It has a very special place in my heart.

Regina Mine too Maja. I think you did it justice. And you are my inspiration to return to Corinne Solomon.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Oh, I hope you will. Each book is better than the last. I'm not sure where you stopped anymore, but now that the final book is written and waiting to be published, it's really worth your time.

message 12: by Becca (new)

Becca Your review is simply amazing!

It's the first time I hear of the books, and now I have to read them. (i još je o svemiru! *_*)

Regina Maga I own all of them and stopped after 2. 2 was spooky and creepy, I enjoyed it. I cannot wait to go on to 3. Hopefully next month. At the end of June I will have the bulk of my ARCs done -- and I keep saying this all over GR as sort of a promise to myself -- never again will I request so many!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Becca, thank you so much. I fell in love with Ann's work through Grimspace and now I read all her books as soon as they're released, if not sooner. I svemir je stvarno genijalan u njezinoj verziji!)

Regina, I know! I have to tell you, though, books 3 and especially 4 are a step up from the first two, so if you liked them, you'll adore Shady Lady and Devil's Punch.

Regina Okay, I think I may have to "decline" some of those arcs. :)

message 16: by Sam (new)

Sam Brilliant review, Maja. I love your love for Ann Aguirre's books. Is it like asking you to choose between your children if I make you tell me which of her series you love the best? ;)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Thanks, Sam!
Ha, almost, but I'd probably have to go with Sirantha because Deuce has only one book so far, and between Corine and Sirantha, this one has better worldbuiding. But it's close, really, really close.

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam Cool! Well I have the first Sirantha Jax book...which I will hopefully get round to one of these days. ;)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I hope so too, but I know how it is. I can't remember the last time I read something just because I felt like it.

Sunny Thanks for your review. I loved Endgame and Ann Aguirre (actually I'm staring at Outpost right now as it has just arrived on my Kindle). You've so accurately encapsulated why I love AA's books. She gets human nature. I look forward to reading more of your reviews.

Hud-c Great review. I love Jax and it saddens me that this is the last of the series. I'm just hoping AA commit herself to the promise that she will revisit the world of Grimspace again. *crosses fingers

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Of course she will. It's been confirmed and it's already in the works. :)

Hud-c Yipee! Glad to hear that Maja. Have you also read her Corine Solomon series? How was it? I'm not yet starting on that series yet and I need some good feedback about it.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Yes, I actually finished Corine Solomon. The last book will be out in April, but I was lucky enough to read it already. I love that series. I think I'm just about ready for a reread.

Hud-c Thanks for the positive comment. I'm going to add it to my TBR list. Hopefully, I can start reading next week.

Kaelee Newton I just finished Endgame and decided I could safely browse reviews. Yours was the first I read and I think I might just stop now. It encapsulates so beautifully all the things I love about this series.

I've got her first Corrine Solomon on my to-read shelf at home. I think, after reading a couple comments regarding here, that I might just have to bump it up in my queue of books!