Marissa's Reviews > Victoria Victorious: The Story of Queen Victoria

Victoria Victorious by Jean Plaidy

Sep 19, 11

Read from September 02 to 19, 2011

Plaidy's novels are never earth-shattering for me but they are great comfort-reads. I especially like to listen to the audiobook while I take walks or drive to and from work. Like her other novels in the Queens of England series, this one is a biographical novel that follows Queen Victoria from her birth to her death. It is long and drawn-out, and it contains natural lulls much like human lives do- but I've learned that this is par for the course when it comes to Plaidy.

I really enjoyed reading about this time period because I tend to read about earlier eras. Though Plaidy's novels are not completely historically accurate (they tend to lean toward older, out-of-date, or more popular interpretations of historical characters), I really appreciate how she tries to stick to what we know about the characters' personalities. It would be so easy to change one or two events or quotes by the characters in order to make them more likeable to the reader. But they wouldn't be themselves then, now would they!?!?

I am annoyed by Victoria's personality once she meets Albert. She loses herself in him and she gives in to his ultra-conservative demands. She treats her eldest son, Bertie (later King Edward VII) unfairly simply because he is not like his father. She is also quite jealous of her eldest daughter who is favored by Albert. These are just a few examples of qualities that the real Victoria possessed that were less than stellar. I also despised her politics but I enjoyed reading the book anyway because I think Plaidy remained true to the spirit of Queen Victoria, which is valid in itself.

I recommend this book to people just getting into his fic. All of Plaidy's novels are a good place to start for his fic newbs. I wish I'd read them before diving in head-first to the newer novels. It's always great to experience the classics within the genre before you get to the newfangled publications (which also have their place!)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Victoria Victorious.

09/13/2011
80.0% "This novel is sooooo Plaidy! It's the third novel I've read by her and though it's different enough to be interesting, there's no way that I'd think anyone else could write it!"