Nicola Mansfield's Reviews > Defiance

Defiance by Carla Jablonski

Sep 02, 11

Read in August, 2011

Reason for Reading: next in the series

Continuing on from the second book, Paul and his older sister continue to work for the Resistance unbeknownst to their mother who has given up her part in the shady dealings to keep her family safe. The eldest girl's boyfriend is deeply involved with the movement causing her to wonder whether he really likes her or is just using her to get information from the Germans. Paul is working independently putting irreverent drawings around town of the Germans which are starting to cause a fuss. At this time in the history of the occupation we learn of the French police force started and run by the Germans called the Milice. A German military police force manned by French residents, obviously not a popular group with the locals. Throughout the plot we also learn of the Maquis, resistance groups hiding out in the forests planning for the moment when they can attack back. We learn of Philippe Petain, the leader of the new French State which worked in cooperation with the Nazis and we see the benefits that women were able to garner for themselves and their families if they fraternized with the Germans. Sometimes this was often a very hard decision to make when children were involved. The book ends with the family members not in accord with each other but with a ray of hope for the future as they celebrate a birthday and letter received from Papa. A grand sequel to the first book. I'm very much looking forward to where the final book will take us as I am expecting something tragic to happen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defiance.