Meg's Reviews > The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of the World

4842085
Sep 02, 11

liked it
Read in August, 2011

Following 'Empire of Wealth' I decided to try and grow my knowledge a little bit on the subject of finance. Having greatly enjoyed Niall Fergesun's previous work, I thought this would be a great way to go. And, in essence, it was.

However, what this book doesn't tell you is that it's written for someone with a much higher understanding of global finance than I currently posess. I'm a financial and economic newbie, having only read Empire of Wealth and little else to increase my understanding of the subject. Some of this book was very interesting, and I will admit that if you're willing to drudge through the man talking about the inflation rates of shares between 1789 and 1810, you will learn a lot about the general ideas, concepts and history that goes into each of these differnet ideas.

While this is sold as a 'financial history of the world' in fact this book reads more like a history of each aspect of finance - insurance, markets, bonds, etc. Chapters are seperated by each of these ideas and not by time. Again, if you have general understanding of all of this stuff and a mind of numbers, you could come out of this book like a King. I came out of it like a lesser noble.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ascent of Money.