Caroline's Reviews > Reamde

Reamde by Neal Stephenson

Nov 19, 11

bookshelves: cyberpunk, thriller, read-in-2011
Read from November 12 to 19, 2011

I went into this with absolutely the wrong expectations. Since Stephenson is such a cyberpunk legend, and the premise of this was revolving around an MMORPG, I naturally expected this to mainly be cyberpunk. Instead, this is really more of a thriller, with a little cyberpunk in the background.

That isn't to say this is bad--for fans of James Bond or the Bourne movies (or various other action spy thrillers), this will probably be more of a success, but for the science fiction fans this is more likely to be a let-down. The complex worldbuilding and infodump that Stephenson is so good at clears up pretty quick, although unfortunately for me that was my favorite part--the world of T'Rain was pretty fascinating to read about, and the Reamde virus as well.

I really, really liked Richard, but once the action starts Zula takes center stage for quite a while. Now, I really did like Zula, and it was great to see a female character take a such a strong lead position in an action thriller, but out of the two I really was more interested in Richard.

Even with my disappointments, this did still read super fast, and was entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reamde.

11/12/2011 page 1
11/13/2011 page 87
8.0% "Really liking the infodump, which is good since there's plenty of it to go around."
11/17/2011 page 546
52.0% "For Richard being what was billed as the main character, he's been missing for quite some time. Glad to see him back."
show 4 hidden updates…