Darren Vincent's Reviews > Robopocalypse

Sep 02, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, 2014
Read from September 22 to 29, 2011 , read count: 2

SECOND READING: 5 STARS
Upon a second reading, I will bump my original four star rating to five stars. Everything in my first review is still valid, but I didn't feel like momentum was lost like I did in my first reading. In fact, I finished the entire book in only a handful of sittings. This is a very unique story.

FIRST READING: 4 STARS
This book is a great read. It is an alternate look at what the Terminator franchise might have looked like had Skynet wanted to eliminate humans only, using only the domesticated robots at hand instead of dropping bombs.

This book starts out at five stars and continues that pace until about midway through the book. I had hoped it would be able to maintain that pace from beginning to end, but it did slow down and start using more conventional man-vs-machine plot devices.

I really liked how the author used the varying testimonials and video recordings to document the major turning points in the war. Unfortunately, this was one of the things that I didn't like. I really hate to lower my rating to four stars based on the author not doing things the way that I want, but because he shows us the major turning points only, the book felt very rushed for a plot dealing with the extinction of the human race. I was left wanting more backstory and more of what happened between the major plot points. Should the author ever decide to fill these in, I would gladly read those books.

In the end, it gets four stars only because it lost a little momentum, not because any of the book is bad in any way, shape or form. The conclusion is very satisfying and there is just enough ambiguity built into the end to allow for the story to continue. It is pure science fiction and I am very glad that I happened to find the book at my library. I look forward to reading some of the authors other titles.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Robopocalypse.

11/01/2014 marked as: currently-reading