♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > Last Breath

Last Breath by Rachel Caine

Nov 18, 11

Recommended for: Morganville Vampire fans
Read from November 09 to 13, 2011 — I own a copy

Wow, I think this was my favorite of the series! These books just keep getting better. I don’t know how Rachel Caine manages to keep us invested in this story even after eleven books, but she does. Once you start reading one of these books you find the pages just fly by. This has always been a fun series with a lot of action, romance, and snarky/humorous dialogue. This book in the series however, is a game-changer, and felt a bit more serious than the others.

After the whole drama played out in Bite Club, Shane is determined to make it up to Claire, Michael, and Eve. Michael and Eve are planning their wedding, well mainly Eve is. Michael doesn’t seem as enthusiastic. Pretty much the whole town, vampire and human, are against the wedding, and Michael is feeling the pressure. Oliver has even gone to Claire to get Eve and Michael to stop the union. In the midst of all this, an unknown “person” has shown up in town. Claire keeps spotting him, he’s non-descript, average in every way, but every time she sees him she has a weird sensation come over her. She know he must be more than human. Trouble is she seems to be the only one who spots him. Add to this, vampires start disappearing from town, left and right.

This book is different from all in the series because up until now the stories were told in Claire’s POV. We get the perspective of: Shane, Michael, Eve, and even Amelie in this one. It was a nice change. I do wish that we would have a chapter from Myrnin’s POV too. Myrnin even with his crazy and volatile personality manages to become a hero when needed (and boy was it needed in this one!). The different POVs made it possible to confirm suspicions many have had for a long time. Whether or not this will have any bearing on the story in future remains to be seen (I hope it doesn’t, thank you very much. I like the way things are!). Claire and Shane’s relationship is so very sweet, inside-melting sweet!! Man they have some great moments in this one, and the ending scene with them………well, made me all warm and fuzzy inside!! I think I’ve never loved Shane more than in this book! There is also a rip-your-heart-out chapter or two!!! Intense and heart-breaking does not cover it!!

One of the best things about this series is that Caine always leaves you wanting more without leaving you on a painful, violence-inducing cliffhanger! I think Rachel Caine stepped it up a notch with this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Breath.

11/12/2011 page 145
43.0% "I gotta say, kind of wish they'd let Myrnin drive! That is just all kinds of hilarious."
11/12/2011 page 169
50.0% "This had better get fixed!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kristina Snyder I am reading this too. You will be surprised. I am in so much shock right now. I didn't see that coming.

Kristina Snyder Told you!!!!!! LOL I was like What?!?!?!?! Major shocker.

♥Rachel♥ I've just got past some of the horrid shock & now having hope again! It was about to get ugly for a minute there. I felt a major fit coming on!

Kristina Snyder I know what you mean. I about quit reading it, but had to see if it was fixed.

Wendy Darling I keep seeing all these 5 stars--I'm so glad it's good! I'm reading this soon so I'm not reading your review yet, but will definitely be back to check it out. :)

♥Rachel♥ I think this is the best one so far! Hope you like it. :)

message 7: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Perfect review, Rachel! I can't wait for the next book. I'm so glad this is NOT a short series. :D

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Sam. I'm glad this isn't done yet. Caine does an amazing job of keeping us wanting more. :)

Arlene Awesome review Rachel. Yes, that last scene made my heart melt. ~sigh~

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Arlene. I can't wait for the next one. :)

♥Rachel♥ Nidah (SleepDreamWrite) wrote: "Agreed that Myrnin should have a POV chapter. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the different POV's, since we're used to Claire's POV."

I'd love to get a peek into his twisted mind, Nidah. :)