Katharine Kerr's Reviews > Futhark, a Handbook of Rune Magic

Sep 01, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: magical-studies
Read from September 18 to October 01, 2011

FUTHARK is Thorsson's first book. He's divided it into two parts, a brief history of the runic system and a "practical" section that gives a complete set of magical exercises. Since he's studied the system extensively and has academic credentials, the history strikes me as sound and well-documented. He knows Old Norse and the other important languages of this field, always a plus in my opinion!

The exercises derive from a system developed early in the Twentieth Century in Germany, under the heavy influence, I suspect, of theosophy, ritual magic, and hatha yoga. Those who do actual magic will have to decide for themselves if it's worth following. I don't have the experience or the lore to pass a true judgment on whether or not it "works" to alter consciousness in the way of other magical systems. It's a patchwork, with bodily postures derived from yoga, chanting showing shamanistic influences, and of course the runes themselves, grafted on top.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Futhark, a Handbook of Rune Magic.