Margaret Sullivan's Reviews > Crucible of Gold

Crucible of Gold by Naomi Novik

May 08, 12

Read from March 08 to May 08, 2012

*cue general squeefulness* I'm a fangirl!

If you like stories set in late 18th and early 19th century Britain, you really need to read the Temeraire series, even if you aren't into Age of Sail stories or dragon fantasy. They are so much fun, so gorgeously written, and have such a strong period feel to them that I look forward to each new release in the series with great impatience.

When we last left our heroes Temeraire and Laurence, they were settling in Australia, Temeraire with plans to at last built himself a proper dragon pavilion in the Chinese style. His labors to that end are interrupted by the arrival of Arthur Hammond with an offer from the British government: the reinstatement of Laurence's Air Corps captaincy if he and Temeraire will go to Brazil and attempt to persuade the Tswanas and their dragons to leave off their attack on the Portuguese colonies--and the slaveowners who live there. The cooperation of the Portuguese royal family is necessary for Britain's strategy against Napoleon, so this diplomatic mission is vital--and Laurence and Temeraire, along with Izkierka and Granby and Kulingile and Demane--set off for South America. The view of the Inca kingdom and their singular relationship with their dragons form a large part of the story, as do meetings with old friends--and old enemies. Crucible of Gold is as compulsively readable as its predecessors in the series, and leaves one wishing, as always, for the next.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crucible of Gold.