Taryn at My Secret Romance's Reviews > Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

This review was posted at My Secret Romance

Once I finish a book, I think about it for a few days and then write my review for it. Well, I've been pondering for days now and I still haven't come up with much for it other than I liked it way more than I expected to considering it's a young adult novel, and everyone knows I don't do young adult. It is extremely rare that I will read a young adult book let alone actually like it. After reading this, it is now one of my favorite books.

The reasons why I don't read young adult books is because I went to high school once and although I really did enjoy it, I don't want to relive all the he-said-she-said crap. The story lines usually aren't strong enough for me and there's no romance in the books. Well, not the kind I like anyway. :) Yet, this book did not feel young adult to me one bit and I found myself unable to put it down. There were so many emotions running through me from frustration to tears in my eyes during some parts. Honestly? This book was a total mind fuck for me and the relationship is a bit disturbing between the hero and heroine but I was still captivated by this story. LOVE LOVE LOVED IT!

Travis, is beyond obsessed with, in love with, and over protected of Abby. The love Travis has for Abby is almost too much to bare. I adore dysfunctional relationships, and Abby and Travis have a messed up crazy kind of love that no one can penetrate. Ahhh...I loved watching these two torment each other! Their love for each other, combined with the arguing and drama surrounding them left me breathless and begging for more. If you love an angst-filled read, then you need this book!

Every time I read about Travis, I couldn't help but think of Ryan from The O.C., who was always throwing punches like Travis is in this book. Travis, like Ryan, is a bad boy and who doesn't love a bad boy?
(That's Ryan from The O.C.)

There was one thing about this book that did irritate me to no end and it was the nickname Travis gave Abby; Pigeon or Pidge. ARE YOU FOR REAL?! Anytime I heard Travis use that nickname for Abby, I thought of a black birds who live around ponds and excretes themselves anywhere at any given time. It's gross. I actually felt embarrassed when Travis used that nickname for Abby. Other than that, I did enjoy this book very much.

Also, I see a lot of people saying that the song 'Beautiful Disaster by Kelly Clarkson would be perfect for this book. I don't think that song has anything in common with this book other than the name.

'It Will Rain' by Bruno Mars is the song for this book. It is so Travis! I could feel the emotion of that song pouring over me the same way this book does did to me. Read the book and listen to the song!

Even though I loved this book and consider it a favorite, I couldn't give it 5 stars for one reason- PIGEON. The embarrassing nickname for Abby.

I would also like to mention that if I had a 17 year old daughter, I would NOT want her to read this book even though it is geared toward that age. There is heavy drinking, sex (may not be graphic sex but it's clearly there- and hot too!) and violence. But man oh man it was so damn good! Addicting is a better word for it.

I know this isn't much of a review, it's kind of a messy jumble of words, but I am at a loss of words for this book. I simply loved it.

I love this song. I listen to it all the time.
Bruno Mars- It Will Rain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-w3Wf...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Disaster.

Quotes Taryn at My Secret Romance Liked

Jamie McGuire
“To douchebags!" he said, gesturing to Brad. "And to girls that break your heart," he bowed his head to me. His eyes lost focus. "And to the absolute fucking horror of losing your best friend because you were stupid enough to fall in love with her.”

Jamie McGuire
“I know we're fucked up, alright? I'm impulsive, and hot tempered, and you get under my skin like no one else. You act like you hate me one minute, and then need me the next. I never get anything right, and I don't deserve you...but I fucking love you, Abby. I love you more than I loved anyone or anything ever. When you're around, I don't need booze, or money, or the fighting, or the one-night stands...”

Jamie McGuire
“I don't get scared very often," he said finally. "I was scared the first morning I woke up and you weren't here. I was scared when you left me after Vegas. I was scared when I thought I was going to have to tell my dad that Trent had died in that building. But when I saw you across the flames in the basement...I was terrified. I made it to the door, was a few feet from the exit, and I couldn't leave.
"What do you mean? Are you crazy?" I said, my head jerking up to look into his eyes.
"I've never been so clear about anything in my life. I turned around, made my way to that room you were in, and there you were. Nothing else mattered. I didn't even know if we would make it out or not, I just wanted to be where you were, whatever that meant. The only thing I'm afraid of is a life without you, Pigeon."
I leaned up, kissing his lips tenderly. When our mouths parted, I smiled. "Then you have nothing to be afraid of. We're forever.”

Jamie McGuire
“He scanned my face with careful hope in his eyes.
“You love me?”
“It’s the tattoos,” I shrugged.
A wide smile stretched across his face, making his
dimple sink into his cheek.”

“-It's over. Go home.
-You're my home.”

“You can’t tell me
what to do anymore, Travis! I don’t belong to you!”
In the second it took him to turn and face me, his
expression had contorted into anger. He stomped toward
me, planting his hands on the bed and leaning into my face.
“WELL I BELONG TO YOU!” The veins in his neck
bulged as he shouted, and I met his glare, refusing to even
flinch. He looked at my lips, panting. “I belong to you.”

Jamie McGuire
“I'm not trying to bag you. I just wanna hang out."
"Bag me? How do you ever get laid talking like that?”

Jamie McGuire
“Make way! Move it, people! Lets make room for this poor woman's hideously disfigured, ginormous brain! She's a fucking genius!”

Jamie McGuire
“Did you forget I was with you? Are you trying to get me killed?"
"It's hard to forget you're behind me when your thighs are squeezing the life out of me." A smirk came with his next thought. "I couldn't think of a better way to die, actually."
"There is something very wrong with you.”

Jamie McGuire
“I've been drinking, all right? Your skin was three inches from my face, and you're beautiful, and you smell fucking awesome when you sweat. I kissed you! I'm sorry! Get over yourself!”

Jamie McGuire
“You just want me to hold you until you fall asleep?"
I didn't answer.
He shifted to look straight into my eyes. "I should say no to prove a point," he said, his eyebrows pulling together. "But I would hate myself later if I said no and you never asked me again.”

Jamie McGuire
“Travis took a step, but America pointed her finger at him. "So help me God, Travis! If you try to stop her, I will douse you with gasoline and light you on fire while you sleep!”

Jamie McGuire
“Let me guess, it's the love of your life?" I said quoting Travis' statement about his motorcycle.
"No, it's a car. The love of my life will be a women with my last name.”

Jamie McGuire
“You slept just fine in the recliner. Why couldn't you sleep with me?"
"You mean next to a guy who still smelled like the pair of bar flies he had just sent home? I don't know! How selfish of me!”

Jamie McGuire
“I feel like any second you're going to figure out what a piece of shit I am and leave me.”

Jamie McGuire
“You're not going to say hi to Thomas?" I whispered.
He didn't look at me when he spoke, watching his family hug and laugh. "I got one night with you. I'm not going to waste a second of it.”

12/06/2011
1.0% "A roudy college party at a frat boys house? Please tell me the whole book isn't like this. I don't do frat boy. I'm already annoyed." 4 comments
12/07/2011
5.0% "Her nickname is Pigeon! Really?"
12/07/2011
22.0% "Travis brought home two girls while Abby is in the other room? I AM GOING TO F*CKING KILL TRAVIS!" 29 comments
12/08/2011
75.0% "I don't know if my heart can take anymore. Oh! The pain they are both going through is ripping right through me." 3 comments
12/08/2011
83.0% "I'm in love. But I have no idea how to write a review for this book."
12/08/2011
100.0% "LOVED it but hated some parts. I'm too beyond tired to even put thoughts together for this book. It's a bit of a mind f*ck for me."

Karla The last comment is perfect, exactly how I felt. Love it!!

Wendy This is on my TBR too Taryn! Mind f*ck huh? Better get on to it sooner than later ;)

Taryn at My Secret Romance Wendy wrote: "This is on my TBR too Taryn! Mind f*ck huh? Better get on to it sooner than later ;)"

Yes it was a mind f*ck! Aren't those the best reads though? LOL Almost disturbing how possessive the H is, but yet I couldn't stop reading it.

message 4: by Wendy (last edited Dec 11, 2011 03:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Wendy wrote: "This is on my TBR too Taryn! Mind f*ck huh? Better get on to it sooner than later ;)"

LOL, yes, yes they are good!

Actually, that's what everyone has said about this book, that they found it addicting! Man...I've gotta get my ass into gear and get on to it ;)

Taryn at My Secret Romance Wendy wrote: "Man...I've gotta get my ass into gear and get on to it ;) "

message 6: by Wendy (last edited Dec 11, 2011 03:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Wendy wrote: "Man...I've gotta get my ass into gear and get on to it ;) "

*Sigh* So true Taryn! I feel the same way :) If only the hubs and kids can look after themselves. You know cook, clean and do all our other household duties! Yeah right...better snap out of it and get in the real world, LOL!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Wendy wrote: "Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Wendy wrote: "Man...I've gotta get my ass into gear and get on to it ;) "

That's what I say about a lot of books...if only there were more hours in the day..."..."

HA! I know the feeling!

message 8: by Karla (last edited Dec 15, 2011 05:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karla WOW WOW WOW...what an outstanding review! I couldn't of said it better myself. I never wrote a review for this book, because I had a hard time putting my thoughts into words. I love the picture...it's PERFECT. I adore Ryan from the O.C., such a hottie, he is so Travis. The way you related the music to the story, fantastic. How funny that the name Pidge bothered you, I didn't have a problem with that in this book, but I can relate because I've had issues with that in other books. Lol. Great job Taryn, makes me want to read right now.

Taryn at My Secret Romance Karla, now I think you're just being nice to me. LOL I think it's a mess of a review. But thank you! It was very hard to write a review for this book, by the way.

Karla Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Karla, now I think you're just being nice to me. LOL I think it's a mess of a review. But thank you! It was very hard to write a review for this book, by the way."

No, I like reviews that come from the heart and show your feelings about the book. I don't need the plot scenario repeated, I can get that from the book description. This shows the emotion you felt, it's funny, that whole pigeon thing cracked me up, and you told us exactly how the book affected you. It's great.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Perfect review! You said everything perfectly. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wouln't want their teenage daughter to read this book! I'm glad you said that too. The song choice is perfect. Now I want to listen to that song and read this book again. *le sigh*

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Great review, Taryn! And I like to see pics in a review. I am so clueless how to do that... :(

Taryn at My Secret Romance @Karla, sometimes I feel like a plot review is necessary for a book but then I think to myself that everyone else does it so I won't do it for this book. I guess it's different for every book is different. As for Thoughtless, I don't think I will be writing a review for that. It was too much emotionally for me and I don't think I can form the right words for it. Yes, Ryan is yummy, isn't he?

@Kristen, thanks! I think when it comes time for my kids to read books, I'm going to have to read them first. Even though they are YA, they are too sensual to read. Well, some of them are.

@Barbara, thanks! And you'd be surprised how easy it is to put a picture in your review. I can tell you if you want.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "@Karla, sometimes I feel like a plot review is necessary for a book but then I think to myself that everyone else does it so I won't do it for this book. I guess it's different for every book is di..."

Thanks, Taryn. Maybe if you've got some time to spare you could send me a message. Uhm, manual for blockheads? LOL

message 15: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Dec 15, 2011 04:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Karla wrote: "Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Karla, now I think you're just being nice to me. LOL I think it's a mess of a review. But thank you! It was very hard to write a review for this book, by the way..."

I agree with you, Karla. I care more about the reviewers feelings and what they took away for the book.

Taryn at My Secret Romance Baba wrote: "Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "@Karla, sometimes I feel like a plot review is necessary for a book but then I think to myself that everyone else does it so I won't do it for this book. I guess..."

LOL!! I will message you soon! Sorry it's taken me so long.

Annemarie Your Dec 7th comment!! Exactly!! But the crazy thing is im more pissed at Abby!! Wtf get up and get out! He never said he was some saint and she's playing head games with him! And unfortunatly yeah this stuff happens not in my vanilla world! Lol ask the average college student.. :/ pidge! Loathe that!!

Annemarie Id like to add: as im only at 22% done the 1 star rating is the reviewers right however.. The anger and outrage in their reviews is more shocking! What vanilla world do they live in? Lol oh I was a passionate raging teen! shit im Sicilian its what we do.. Throwing thingsaround a room does not constitute going to prison! Ha puleaseeee get outta your bubble world. Im dying to know what abby did in her past!!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Annemarie wrote: "shit im Sicilian its what we do"

Haha, isn't that the truth! I'm Sicilian and Italian. :)

Annemarie Its nuts! Omg how many crazy things we did! My husband and I have been together for 19 yrs lmao we fight!! I throw things still :/ bahahaaa please im such a Travis...its called passionate people!! Lolol

Taryn at My Secret Romance Hahahah!!! Passionate! Only in our world apparently. Hey, I'll take it. :) Throw things?? Don't forget the wooden spoons! Haha

Annemarie Omg wooden spoon attached to my ass! My pops is 85 this year!! He still makes me feel like im 10 sometimes! Awww but he's my pops! Love him!! Im still not at the point in this book thats got everyobe mad or upset... He just bought her a puppy!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Annemarie wrote: "Omg wooden spoon attached to my ass!"

Hahaha! I'm at the library with the kids right now and I just busted out laughing so loud at that because it's so true!

The people who rated this book a one star didn't like how possessive and crazy Travis is. I liked it. :) Plus, Italians are like that so it was nothing new for me to read.....and I'm sure you.

Annemarie Im like still waiting for the bomb to drop?? I Freakin hate Abby! She does the deed and he was so sweet! Then boom she leaves?!! Id tear the room apart too! She needs help IMO and hello she never plays with Toto her present!!

Annemarie Nah I rather like fights especially Thanksgiving ones, id be more concerned if we got along! Drama. Drama drama..;-) as im typing this my husband decides to sit on me and squeeze my face..cause that how we roll.

Annemarie I had Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting in my head. I thought Abby was the Disaster! I loved it.

Taryn at My Secret Romance Annemarie wrote: "Im like still waiting for the bomb to drop?? I Freakin hate Abby! She does the deed and he was so sweet! Then boom she leaves?!! Id tear the room apart too! She needs help IMO and hello she never p..."

Just reading that part makes me want to read the whole book again.

Taryn at My Secret Romance Annemarie wrote: "Nah I rather like fights especially Thanksgiving ones, id be more concerned if we got along! Drama. Drama drama..;-) as im typing this my husband decides to sit on me and squeeze my face..cause..."

LOL I love ya, Annemarie!

That's how we roll...

Lizzie Nice review! I'm currently reading this one :)

Taryn at My Secret Romance Thanks, Lizzie! Are you liking it so far?

Lizzie I'm 50% done. I must say that sometimes Abby, is gettin really annoying. Btw, in your review, you mentioned that the name "Pigeon" kindda bothers you. Well, im bit bothered with it too. In the last book I read, the hero calls his heroine, "grasshopper". I was like, whats with animals and endearments?! LOL

Taryn at My Secret Romance Lizzie wrote: "I'm 50% done. I must say that sometimes Abby, is gettin really annoying. Btw, in your review, you mentioned that the name "Pigeon" kindda bothers you. Well, im bit bothered with it too. In the last..."

LOL!! Yes, it drove me nearly insane! It reminded me of a dirty disgusting bird! What happened to 'babe' or 'cupcake' or 'sugar' or 'honey'? hehe I'd take one of those any day over grasshopper!

Jessie Just finished this one. I read your review and can't agree more on the pet name pigeon. Pigeons are icky. I dont get it.

Jenniferbradey Try The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher. I like it more than this one.

message 35: by Taryn at My Secret Romance (last edited Apr 21, 2012 04:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Taryn at My Secret Romance Someone just recommended me that book the other day...so funny you are too now. I've never read anything by that author. Thanks!

Argie I loved that book!! I read it in one day, yes some parts were disturbing, made me think would I want my kid in a relatioship like that?? probably not. BUT at the same time I loved travis, he is such a contrandictory character. can't wait for the book with travis POV

Taryn at My Secret Romance Argie wrote: "I loved that book!! I read it in one day, yes some parts were disturbing, made me think would I want my kid in a relatioship like that?? probably not. BUT at the same time I loved travis, he is suc..."

She's writing a book through Travis's POV?

Duchess Crystal you have just sold me on this book. great review!!! i thought i was ready for a break from angsty romance after reading The Opportunist but damn! This book sounds way to fucked up in an interesting way to hold of on reading. I will start in approx 5 minutes. lol

Taryn at My Secret Romance Crystal wrote: "you have just sold me on this book. great review!!! i thought i was ready for a break from angsty romance after reading The Opportunist but damn! This book sounds way to fucked up in an interesting..."

Well, thank you! I totally dig fucked up/dysfunctional relationships, so I loved this one! Will you keep me updated with your reading status? I'd love to hear what you have to say!

The Opportunist was great too! A mind fuck if you ask me...but a really good one. :)

Duchess Crystal Totally!!

The Opportunist is....it's....fucked. Lol.

Team Caleb or Team Noah? Hmmmm

Taryn at My Secret Romance Crystal wrote: "Totally!!

The Opportunist is....it's....fucked. Lol.

Team Caleb or Team Noah? Hmmmm"

LMAO TEAM CALEB!! Screw the sweet and Nice Noah.

Duchess Crystal LMFAO!!!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Crystal wrote: "LMFAO!!!

I'm still upset with Caleb with what he did to O at the office party. So until I can forgive him (which he did a little at the end) I am Team Noah for now."

I hated it too...but I loved it at the same time! Bring on the drama!

Duchess Crystal Lol. Yes bring on the drama. Can't wait for part 2 and my sis Amanda told me that there will be a part 3...eeekkk!!!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Crystal wrote: "Lol. Yes bring on the drama. Can't wait for part 2 and my sis Amanda told me that there will be a part 3...eeekkk!!!"

YES!!!! 3 books!

Duchess Crystal Hit me with some bottles of Vodka...it's going to be a fucking bumpy ride!

Duchess Crystal Ok my update thingy is not working...grrrr. At least on my computer anyway. On my phone, sure no prob. But i dont get internet service on my phone here at work...boo

But so far I am LOVING Travis and Abby. Just starting Chpt 3

Taryn at My Secret Romance Crystal wrote: "Ok my update thingy is not working...grrrr. At least on my computer anyway. On my phone, sure no prob. But i dont get internet service on my phone here at work...boo

But so far I am LOVING Travis..."

WOOOOHOOO!!!

Duchess Crystal Okay. Okay. Travis won my heart with the whole singing in the cafeteria. *sighs*

Taryn at My Secret Romance Isn't he so dreamy? lol