Aaron's Reviews > Strangers

Strangers by Dean Koontz

Sep 19, 2011

it was ok

When I first started this book, I was blown away by Koontz's ability to make me fall in love with his characters. One of Koontz's greatest tools in this story was creating gaps in time. The reader would see one character and their struggles for a few pages, then another, and another, and sometimes another, before going back to the first character. This use of disjointed stories made me crave to know what was happening to my favorite characters and kept me reading. I also really liked how he slowly brought the characters together, bound by a single experience. However, I felt that the conclusion of the story was very weak. It seemed like there was much greater possibility than what actually happened in the final part of the story. I did learn a lot from this book as a writer. One big thing I realized was the power of time gaps in story and how they can be effectively used to control the pace of the story and allow the reader some freedom. Also, the importance of a stories conclusion has greatly increased to me after reading this, because I never want to leave a reader feeling the way I did when I finished this story. Ultimately I know that it is impossible to please everyone. A lot of people actually enjoyed the ending of this book, which puts a lot of things into perspective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strangers.