Jessica Degarmo's Reviews > Shinobi, Book One: Concealed in Shadows

Shinobi, Book One by Sessha Batto

Dec 29, 12

Read from September 01 to 16, 2011

Shinobi was an unexpected surprise for me. I knew what the book was about, having seen it mentioned on several social networking sites, but I had no idea it was as good as it was!

Shinobi takes place in modern day Japan, where clans of ninjas are at war with each other. Yoshi, the main character, is a shadow wolf, and a very special ninja. He is also used as a sex slave/whipping boy to fund the drug/other habits of the malevoent Rin.Yoshi is an amazing character, used to years of abuse, a powerful and hard enough ninja to withstand countless torments, a tormented character himself who doesn't realize his own worth.

I'm not going to give the plot away, but suffice it to say that Yoshi, even though he's been sorely used under Rin's rule, performs selfless acts and shows that loyalty, sacrifice and love can indeed save a group of people, and eventually, himself as well, He's a clever character, an endearing one, and Sessha Batto did a wonderful job of delving deep into the inner workings of Yoshi and all of the supporting cast. This is an amazing book you'll remember long after you've turned the last page.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shinobi, Book One.

09/01/2011
24.0% "So far, this is an intriguing read. I'm learning about each of the characters and finding out just what poor Yoshi has been through. Heart-wrenching story about the need for acceptance and redemption. Reading on..."
09/15/2011
81.0% "Still enthralled, and amazed at the subtle brilliance of Yoshi. I'm liking what he's doing for his clan right about now..."
show 1 hidden update…