Susan's Reviews > What We Have: A Family's Inspiring Story About Love, Loss, and Survival

What We Have by Amy Boesky

Sep 01, 2011

Read in September, 2011

** spoiler alert ** At first, I was ready to put this book down. But, I am glad I waited and the memoir got better. As I was reading the first 100 pages, I said to my self so what. I was looking for a book to discuss her fear of getting breast cancer. Because her mother's side was predisposed with breast cancer.

But, there was more. It was about the family coping with the illness. Her mother was treated for Ovarian cancer many years ago. She thought, and her doctor's thought she was cured. Not so. As long as you have the gene you can still get it. That is what happened to Amy's mother. Unfortunately, she passed away.

The book is about how Amy and her sister's moved on and coped with her mother's death. The memoir is very moving. After I read it, I went on the author's website to read some of the articles about the cancer gene. I then sent the article to my brother's to hope that they would read it. Because it doesn't just happen to women it can happen to their sons as well. High percentage of prostate cancer. It runs in Jewish families too.

Some people get tested for the gene and then decide to remove their breast. This is each person's individual choice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What We Have.