Jeann (Happy Indulgence) 's Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Nov 24, 11

bookshelves: own, young-adult, 5-star, magic
Read from November 15 to 24, 2011

I loved this book, what a refreshing change from the usual vampire and werewolf love triangles! The protagonist Evie works for the IPCA - the International Paranormal Containment Agency who works to capture paranormal creatures and keep them away from humans. The premise is unique and works really well for introducing a whole range of paranormal creatures including vampires, water spirits, fey, mermaids, and more. This could either be really good or go horribly wrong, but I'm pleased to say that the creatures worked seamlessly into the storyline and it was never to over the top at any one time.

Evie is a really likable lead as well, she's funny, quirky, excited about the concepts of a 'normal' teenage life, strong and quick-witted. She doesn't fit into the typical mould of either a strong heroine or a weak damsel in distress but yet paves her own female lead role. The characters in her world are really enjoyable too such as a best friend for a mermaid, a stalker faerie for an ex boyfriend and a whole host of other weird and wonderful creatures.

There's a paranormal twist, a villain, mysteries, an overarching storyline, it just restored my faith in the paranormal genre altogether. This book was so creative and funny at the same time.

It was just well written and really hilarious in some parts, reminding me of my favourite Succubus series. Paranormalcy is a fun, quirky, light and refreshing read that will keep you entertained until the very last page and you'll be begging for more with the sequel.

Check out Happy Indulgence for more reviews!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.