Laurel-Rain's Reviews > Darkness, My Old Friend

Darkness, My Old Friend by Lisa Unger

Sep 06, 2011

Read from September 01 to 06, 2011

In a small town called The Hollows, several individuals are on a collision course that is bound to bring devastating consequences.

A retired cop, Jones Cooper, wrestles with secrets and fears from the past, yet is compelled to seek out the darkness in the world around him.

Michael Holt has returned to The Hollows with questions about what happened to his mother when she disappeared twenty years before.

And a teen, Willow Graves, whose mother writes bestselling mysteries, struggles with the issues in her life and acts out in dangerous ways.

Then there is a psychic whose predictions might just bring all of these characters onto the same path, headed straight toward the darkness.

"Darkness, My Old Friend: A Novel" brings together some characters from a previous novel, "Fragile (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard)," and I suspect that another book set in this same town may follow.

A segment at the end tells us a lot about this story, when Jones's therapist makes a comment that sums up what defines many of these characters: I just wonder if it's not the darkness of it all that calls, you, Jones.

Unlike some of Unger's other books, this one feels like a study in the connections between people set on a path to the dark side. What secrets, betrayals, and underlying disturbances compel them? How can they each find the path to peace and serenity? Is this even possible? A page-turning foray into a world populated by individuals with shadowy interiors, I chose to award this book five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness, My Old Friend.