Kim Smiley's Reviews > Winter Longing

Winter Longing by Tricia Mills

Sep 01, 11

Read in September, 2011

I almost didn't read this book because it was due back to the library and I hadn't to it yet. I'm glad I kept it because it only took me a day to get through it. After reading the reviews on here I wanted to give it a chance.

I wasn't disappointed. This was a very good read. Winter is so happy. She has just declared her love to Spencer, her best guy friend who she has loved since grade school. They're going into their senior year of high school and she's getting ready for a party while he is taking flight for his pilot license. But he never makes it to the party because the plane goes down, (they live in Alaska) and he is killed.

Winter feels like everything has been taken away from her. Why did she wait so long to tell Spencer how she felt? They had only shared a few kisses after finding out he felt the same way about her. THey had no time to date, (the winter formal at school was going to be their first) and she feels like she wasted so much time.

This book made me cry and I don't cry! Seriously, my husband who I have been with for almost ten years has seen me cry once. Here I am at work crying for a girl who lost her boyfriend and for parents who lost their only child. The funeral chapter drove me to tears.

So now Winter and her best friend Lindsay, who had known Spencer even longer than Winter had are now trying to cope with his death. Winter's nextdoor neighbor Jesse, who is also a senior at school is there to help Winter get past her grief. She was never friends with him before, but it seems as though she is leaning on him more and more and feeling guilty for thinking of another boy when the one she has loved most her life is now gone.

I like how the author plays on these feelings. Is it ok to be happy after someone you love dies? The stages of grief Winter goes through; the sadness, the anger and acceptance. It's all there. This was a book I'm glad I read; very much worth my time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter Longing.