Tracy Strianese's Reviews > The Murder of the Century: The Gilded Age Crime that Scandalized a City and Sparked the Tabloid Wars

The Murder of the Century by Paul  Collins

Sep 22, 2011

liked it
Read from September 01 to 22, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murder of the Century.

message 1: by Liz (new) - added it

Liz I know this is non-fiction, but the description reminds me a little of the Alienist. Does it seem like this story inspired that one? or are they just similar content in the same time period?

Tracy Strianese It is a similar story, what with murders and 19th century NYC, but this is more about how the trial and how the media portrayed it. Although they did mention an alienist at least once. I'm enjoying it very much so far.

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy have you ladies come across any interesting period pieces in that vain? the alienist/devil in white city vain? i'm jonesin' for a suspenseful period piece...

message 4: by Liz (new) - added it

Liz Are you looking for fiction only or non fiction too? I took a look over my list and the Crimson Petal and the White is a Victorian period piece. It's about a prostitute, so it's not so much about serial murder, but i remember it being engaging and gritty. On the non-fiction front I read a book called, The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher, which is about one of the first English detectives in the mid-1800s and a huge murder case that supposedly helped spawn the crime novel genre.

message 5: by Liz (new) - added it

Liz Also, Time and Again is the best.

Tracy Strianese Oh Time and Again IS the best. You can borrow it when you come down here next.

message 7: by Liz (new) - added it

Liz I just read about another one, non-fiction "The Devil's Gentlemen"

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy Tracy- can i borrow Time and Again this weekend?

Tracy Strianese Yes, remind me. I'll give you the sequel too, but it kind of stinks.